Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,918   Online: 860

Thread: Liquid Light?

Shooter
    Medium Format

Liquid Light?

Anyone use Liquid Light? tried it tonite, exposed on wood block i had sealed w/ polyurethane per directions. However, developed in TMax
    by mistake istead of paper dev. exposed for 10 secs at f.4.5, dev for about 1 min. Came out pretty good! Some of the emulsion peeled offbut
    prob didn't wait long enough for it to dry on the wood. (about 20 mins).
    Anyway, neat stuff. cant wait to print my Grandson pic on a rock! ez

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I made some prints with liquid light on wood veneer a few months ago. It can be a bit unpredictable at times, but it's a lot of fun to work with. I found that if you let it wash for too long, the emulsion starts to bubble off. I don't know if this happens with all surfaces, or just wood.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    liquid light is fun stuff ..
    you might consider adding a hardener
    to the emulsion before you coat whatever it is you want to coat
    and maybe using a hardening fixer if you can. poor adhesion may also
    be caused by too smooth a surface and the emulsion not able to anchor itself
    onto whatever it is you want to print on. i love printing images onto glass
    instead of paper, its a lot of fun but the prep is critical seeing glass is so smooth.

there is an emulsion making thread / group here on apug, and the light farm ( lightfarm.com )
    is also a group that deals with hand coating liquid emulsions. while these groups deal
    with making emulsions by hand ( instead of buying a bottle of it ) the issues are the same
    when it comes to using it ... you can also look for a book called silver gelatin, a user's guide to liquid photographic emulsion ...

have fun!
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yep the LL did bubble up in two small areas so ill try not to wash so long next time. What kind of hardener would i use? thx

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    you might just try using a hardening fixer bath.
    it might solve all your troubles ...

http://www.alternativephotography.co...-plate-process
    is for dry plates
    but the same thing could probably be done for your wood block

have fun !
    john
    Last edited by jnanian; 02-18-2012 at 04:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've tried LL a few times on wood, rock and glass plates. It adhered fine to the wood and rock but didn't do so well on the glass plates. The solution was to etch the glass with sulfuric acid and wash thoroughly to give the glass some 'tooth'. Development of all 3 surfaces was by sponge instead of immersion minimizing the edges becoming loose. Of course the coating was by no means even so edge effects were still visible.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you sub the glass plates with gelatin you shouldn't have trouble getting LL to adhere. At least I didn't. Of course there were "edge effects" (see the pic in my gallery) but that's part of what I loved about it. I never got good enough to eliminate them, but I didn't want to.

Its very fun. I love LL plates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does this stuff work with fabric like a T shirt possibly?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin