Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,501   Posts: 1,571,712   Online: 943

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Purple Wash Water

11 Feb 2012

In order to save water I have changed my print wash procedure. Instead of using a circulating wash after fixing a print I place it in a tray of stagnant cold water until I am done with a set of prints than move them to a circulating water wash. As the prints are resting in the tray of water I agitate them each time a print is added. The following are my observations, and I am looking for some explanation.

1. The tray of stagnant water becomes increasingly purple with every print that is added. This happens with both RC and FB.
    2. If an RC print is left in the tray without agitation I see purple "wisps" flowing off the surface of the print.
    3. It is about the same color as the antihalation dye in some films.
    4. What are the possible effects of this purple complex on the print?

Any ideas on what is going-on here.

Regards,
    Darwin
    Last edited by drpsilver; 02-12-2012 at 01:56 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added #4 to list of observations

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That happens with film as well, though more on the pink side. This is the residual stuff from the fixer and other salts you want to wash out.

I use stagnant water to wash my film, but it needs several changes until the water comes out clear, then I know the film is clean and ready for the final rinse/stabiliser/etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it in any of your other chemicals? Are any of your other chemicals spoiled and need replacing? I find this only happens when my stop or fixer needs to be replenished. Does it effect the quality of your prints at all?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use more or less the same procedure, but have never seen purple in print washing water. Some questions;
    Are you using an indicator stop bath? Do you use the same fixing bath that you've used for film? How long are you fixing? How fresh is the fix?
    Last edited by bdial; 02-12-2012 at 06:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should not leave RC paper to soak for a long time. It will take in water along the edges and almost irreversibly curl/warp.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I place my prints into a holding tray of water and never had that happen. The only thing I can think of is your fixer may be at the end of its life span. JP498 is correct, you should not leave RC prints soaking for more than a couple of minutes or they run the risk of taking in water and delaminating. A quick rinse then place them in a dry rack for later washing, RC prints require only about 2-3 minutes wash to finish.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've always left RC prints in water as I continue to work and have never had any delaminate. It might happen with some brands, but I haven't had it happen with Ilford. I did recently leave some test strips in the holding water while I put the prints (fiber this time) in the slot washer and they ended up staying there several hours. The water was purple when I got them out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've noticed that my tray of hypo clear starts to get a bluish tint after a while but I've never seen wash water come out purple.

I don't know if it means anything. It could just be the way the light reflects off the white enamel on the bottom of the pan as it goes through the liquid.
    If I notice it and it starts to bug me, I just replace the solution. By the time I notice it, I figure the stuff probably needs changing anyway.

I have also seen the water in my holding tray turn very slightly blue but I just figured that it was carryover from the hypo clear. Again, I just figured it was a signal that it's time to clean it out.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I leave my prints in a holding tray of water till I am done with my printing session n never seen wash water turn colors at all.

Check your indicator stop bath if it is too concentrated or you may not be dripping it off long enough n the bluish color is from the reaction to the fixer transfering over to the wash tray?

Does your home use treated or conditioned water?.. maybe a reaction happening there?

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I noticed this as well.

It's not only RC but FB paper does this as well. For FB I have the HCA step before wash and it turns purple. I figured as as much that mixing developer with HCA or fix does not do this, so likely, it's a reaction with paper or something in the paper. I actually never noticed this with RC.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin