Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,987   Online: 843

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I don't shoot a lot of film but this is pretty much my point too. I can afford all the film I have time to shoot, and I have time to shoot more than I have time to develop and print!
    Well said and exactly my point as well.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I might pull the trigger on another 100 rolls of Tri-X / 120, there is a big difference between $379 from Freestyle and $499 from B&H and we all know that price difference won't last.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The last time I bought Tri-X roll film it was $1.35 a roll for 120.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    The last time I bought Tri-X roll film it was $1.35 a roll for 120.
    So how much did you earn the in the last year you bought Tri-X in 120? Maybe your take home pay was only $13,500 that year. With that income a roll would be quite expensive.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Kehler View Post
    It's past $6.50 a roll in Canada, has been past $5 for years here. Not as cheap as last year but neither is silver or labour costs. I was going to order some Tri-X in 5x7 sheets from B&H but it went up 25% 2 weeks ago (they were sold out prior to that); will have to wait a while now.
    Silver price has dropped to nearly half of what it was at the spike last year, but that's not the entire cost of film granted.

$4.99 is cheap. In Melb we group buy from B&H, and it's generally +15% on cost of top of that to split shipping in a $1k order. Which becomes basically $5.75/roll, which is still cheap.

Local price is $7.15/roll at Vanbar online I just checked.. which is surprising I was expecting to be over $10. At Michael's in the CBD it will be.

$7.15 is real cheap here now that I think about it.. they must have dropped the price... because Delta 100 in 120 is $11 a roll.

120 Velvia 50 is $17/roll
    120 Portra 160 is $10/roll

120 Provia 400X is $27/roll.
    35mm Provia 400X 36exp is $42.21/roll.

And you complain about a few cents increase in the U.S...

$7.15 Local vs $4.99 B&H
    $27 Local vs $6.29 B&H
    Last edited by Athiril; 02-14-2012 at 07:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    B&H must have had it listed as a mistake for a few days. I see the price is back down to 3.99. That's much better than 4.99!!! This is great!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good to know that it went back down--I stocked up from Adorama anyways.

I didn't mean to complain about the price increase per se but the huge overnight spike was shocking. It was strange to see BH selling a very popular film for $1 more than their competitors.

Well it's good to know that this was false and I hope to continue purchasing tri-x.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Checked B&H this evening. Seems it's back to $3.99.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My local store has 120 at $4.85, up about a dollar from a month ago but still not too bad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmquinn View Post
    So how much did you earn the in the last year you bought Tri-X in 120? Maybe your take home pay was only $13,500 that year. With that income a roll would be quite expensive.
    None, I was in school on the GI Bill.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin