Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,263   Posts: 1,660,597   Online: 705

Thread: WOW. AMAZED :-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

WOW. AMAZED :-)

I'm in the middle of building a darkroom. I bought some S/H gear including some old paper and chems.

Tonight, even though I haven't built my sink yet, I thought I'd have a quick play and see if there was any life left in the chems. Mixed it up, not too accurately as I wasn't expecting great things. Set up a neg (lab developed), and set a time using the sensor on the philips timer I inherited with the enlarger. No test strips or anything, as I didn't expect much of a result.

I have NEVER made a print before in my life and........... it came out. First time. And it's decent! Will it last? I don't know as I don't really know how good the fixer is.

But, WOW. Its a great feeling. First print ever! I'll put it in the gallery when its dry.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sounds like how I made my first prints 34 years ago in the employee darkroom in Grand Canyon National Park.

Did those first prints last? Some did, some did not.

But congrats!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well done. If it's a Phillips timer/analyser with a probe and was set up for the paper you are using then I find it generally gives me a decent print first time. Not up to the standards of the RH Designs analyser but well worth using

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You'll find that the fun of darkroom printing remains even after many years. I made my first prints in the early 1960's and stil prefer darkroom work to watching ink dry

I've had 2 Phillips meter/timers and they are excellent they can certainly get you to a reasonable print quickly.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's a tingly feeling I hope you won't ever lose,well done!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    You'll find that the fun of darkroom printing remains even after many years. I made my first prints in the early 1960's and stil prefer darkroom work to watching ink dry

I've had 2 Phillips meter/timers and they are excellent they can certainly get you to a reasonable print quickly.

Ian
    +1 to the fun not fading. I made my first ones in the mid 70s, at age 12 or so, with the bathroom blacked out and my supportive but bewildered and bemused parents wonder who this alien made scientist was that seemed to have been born into their family. I still love printing and it's still magical to me.

No experience with B&W analyzers though. I do have an Ilford EM10 exposure meter I use occasionally for changing print sizes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thnks all. I have kinda been putting off this moment intending to try and do everything right firts time when my darkroom is finished, but I couldn't resist having a quick play. Darkroom is still half a building site. I have never had any lessons except what I have read here!! When I bought the enlarger, it came with some chems in self-labelled bottles, but I didn't even know if the developer labeled "1:9" was stock solution or not. I assumed not, and mixed it 1:9. The fixer is a part used jessops rapid fixer. I didn't bother with an acid stop. Just a water stop. I've been reading all the developing posts for a long while ready for "the big day". Its just I am blown away how well it came out, using unknown chems, and just taking exposure from the sensor on the timer that I had never used and had no idea if it worked or not. The only way now is up!! :-)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Woooooooooooo hooooooo! Another DR goes into production! Congrats! This dry run (or I guess wet run ) will be the driving force to get it all finished up. You have quickly learned how easy it really is. I made some prints sitting on the cement floor in my basement with a few trays at my side before getting it all set up; nothing fancy is needed for great prints! Congrats!
    Andy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin