Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,419   Online: 1038

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd suggest buying some tmx and making it work, and it if does, slowly sell off your tech pan.

A step or two up in format will yield grainlessness too. I shoot tmy2 in 4x5 and consider it grainless compared to anything from 35mm. A slow medium format choice would also do well.

The dark look sample image looks like pushed film to me. A shortness of shadow detail and hearty contrast. Some filtration options would also help you get the look in more outdoor conditions as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh yeah, fuji acros 100 is another almost grainless choice, and it's quite affordable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Technical Pan had it's place and a unique feel when used for pictorial work but it's not really a good film for consistent project work where tonality is important.

Probably my favourite two films were AP25 and AP100 and their sucessors APX25 & APX100. When Agfa stooped APX100 in sheet film I switch totally to Tmax 100, I'd already found that Tmax gave me almost identical results but it was a full stop slower in true EI.

So if you like APX25 try Tmax100. Delta 100 is another superb film and would be an alternative.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    I don't really understand your claim here....

I have constantly stated, that using Tech Pan using it at 199iso and develop it in Tetenal Neofin Doku, I have my all time best non-grain film!

T-max.... you must be kidding....

The techpan was my "secret" weapon for portraits of especially young girls. They all almost fell in love with me, thinking I was the master.... (but I knew silently that the film was the reason..)

I hate the fact that it is no more... I have some films left - from 135mm to 4x5" and a small stock of the neofin doku.

I have tried the technidol, but never got the results I wanted...

Neofin doku is the secret behind the secret film....

(Sell the stuff to me!)
    I haven't found a source for Tetenal products this side of the pond
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So other than forgetting my gaiters, filling my socks with snow last night, I shot a scene on ATP, TP and PanF. This is pretty much what I am going to do for the next week, not tests but try to get working images from the TP films. It's snowing real nice here right now so I am going to work on a nice "quiet" series of Aspen trees.

In terms of APX25, love it and have enough of it in 120 to do several shows with, at least a few years worth, that film just does *everything* right, a shame it is gone. I also have a couple hundred rolls of TMX in 120 so I am good at least for this year. I don't mind grain a bit and 120 hides it well in most prints.

I do have a few things that are nice from TP, but right now, as a career move, I need more consistency and can always buy ATP if I feel the itch. Thanks for the replies, I will figure out what this looks like by next week.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I shot TP for some years as my only b&w and my darkroom person learned how to get excellent tonality from it and found depending on developer, temperature and development time we could go for wide tonality to very high contrast and almost anything in between. I've not found a replacement film. APX25 has been okay but nothing beats TP.

I used to load the TP in several backs marked for ultimate development and switched between them depending on how I saw the final print potential.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
    I shot TP for some years as my only b&w and my darkroom person learned how to get excellent tonality from it and found depending on developer, temperature and development time we could go for wide tonality to very high contrast and almost anything in between. I've not found a replacement film. APX25 has been okay but nothing beats TP.

I used to load the TP in several backs marked for ultimate development and switched between them depending on how I saw the final print potential.
    I have 8 backs for this very reason and so I don't feel the need to just "push" a roll through in order to use a different one. So is ATP not cutting it for you? I am not sure what to make of it thus far...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quick question here if I may since there's a number of TP users here? I have ONE roll in 120 of Tech Pan. I certainly do not want to buy a new developer just for this one roll. Of the following which would you guys recommend I use? HC-110, D-76, Rodinal, Pyrocat-HD, Microdol-X or DiXactol Lux?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did TP and ATP together in the same soup of Rodinal 1+300 at 11 minutes, gentle agitation and the negs looked OK in terms of tone but I got streaks in areas that were uniform like snow, so if someone else wants to chime in...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Quick question here if I may since there's a number of TP users here? I have ONE roll in 120 of Tech Pan.
    Honestly, I wouldn't use Techpan in anything other than Technidol. You can find a Techpan-compatible developer at Photographer's Formulary.

Also, agitate it according to the Kodak instructions: shake it like you are mixing a martini!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin