Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,862   Online: 1098

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    And some of us totally mis-use it by putting such a hi Res film in an old funky low res camera (original Dianna Camera)!

A Place of Temporary Refuge
    North Spit, Humboldt Bay, CA
    Scanned carbon print
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3BoysNorthJetty.jpg  
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The attachment in post #29 would fall under what I called controlled lighting situations (ie studio work etc). Upon examination, it would also call it a special effect. Notice how abrupt the transitions are from middle values down to featureless black. That is one of the hallmarks of document films. If that is the aesthetic decision, there is nothing wrong with it. But for general purpose photography, it can sometimes lead to harsh tonalities, empty shadows, and empty highlights.

I'm not arguing against special applications - although I still maintain a picture made with a document film will never look like it was made with a larger format, with the exception of graininess. That, however, is somewhat a matter of personal opinion.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 02-14-2012 at 01:45 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo and expanded commentary

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    The attachment in post #29 would fall under what I called controlled lighting situations (ie studio work etc). I'm not arguing against those applications - although I still maintain a picture made with a document film will never look like it was made with a larger format, with the exception of graininess. That, however, is somewhat a matter of personal opinion.
    true. I have mostly used it in a controlled setting.

But several (IIRC) has plainly stated that this film isn't really a good one for pictorial work! (Not you Michael)+(thanks Thomas for your explanation)...

I'll take a tour outside and see what I get. Can't see why it should present ant problems (but I can be wrong of course).

I have always loved the extra red sensitivity - and the smoothness the film provides has more than once made it the "secret weapon" in portrait photography (not to mention nudes..). Skin tones like porcelaine.

My all time favourite film. Sad it is gone!!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    From Prairie Creek Trail

Kodak Copy Film
    HC-110, 1:20, 70F 6 minutes
    8x10 Carbon Print

But perhaps Copy film is not a "Document Film"?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails From the Prairie Creek Trail_8x10.jpg  
    Last edited by Vaughn; 02-14-2012 at 02:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    true. I have mostly used it in a controlled setting.

But several (IIRC) has plainly stated that this film isn't really a good one for pictorial work! (Not you Michael)+(thanks Thomas for your explanation)...

I'll take a tour outside and see what I get. Can't see why it should present ant problems (but I can be wrong of course).

I have always loved the extra red sensitivity - and the smoothness the film provides has more than once made it the "secret weapon" in portrait photography (not to mention nudes..). Skin tones like porcelaine.

My all time favourite film. Sad it is gone!!
    No arguments here if it works for your application.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have about 4 frames left on each roll to go through, then I will soup it and give it a good look-see. I could go either way on it, if I can master it and make great imagery, why not use it. If not, it's not like PanF or TMX in 120 are going to be a detriment to my vision and or skill set.

Keep it coming guys, I am sure I am not the only person who has or will ask this question...

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Found a couple of portraits, actually photographed outside. Normal metering (old Topcon RE Super) - no reflection screen - just an image...

And then I found a tight crop of the models eye... 35mm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails astr4.jpg   astri.jpg   øje.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those are amazing examples, Emil.

Goes to show that not only thinking outside the box, but disregarding it all together, is a good idea!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So to summarize ...

To get great "pictorial" results from Tech Pan, start by channelling your inner "gandolfi".

Have I missed anything?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    That's insane.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin