Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,774   Posts: 1,516,624   Online: 1105

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's an image taken with Tech Pan and processed by David at dr5. He does wonderful work. It's from 35mm film. It costs a little bit but it's within the range of what I'm willing to pay for the photograph I'm after. (Nikon FA, 28/2.8 AIS, orange filter)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.8 AiS Nikkor%0AOrange%0AGitzo%0ATechPan (converted to transparency)%0Adr5.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	297.3 KB 
ID:	46369
    -Marc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    .dr5 is indeed a special process, one I'd like to try with some of my films in the near future. But OP is printing negatives so we shouldn't be confusing the issue with transparencies.

I don't want to harp on this so I'll exit at this point. Sorry if anyone was offended.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael, my reply was more to the OP's general question, "With great films like Pan-F, TMX with superb tonal range, why would someone even use TP or ATP?" But you're right, PKM-25 is concentrating on printing from negs. I'll exit, too.

-Marc
    Last edited by Marc Akemann; 02-16-2012 at 03:07 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Left out the word 'from'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No offence, Michael. Perhaps we're really saying the same thing from different vantage points.

You hold that Tech Pan is not like normal full scale films, and that is certainly valid. The film simply isn't TMax or Delta.

I held that it could still be used, and I was trying to maintain that it wouldn't be like TMax, but that perhaps that was OK too, or even interesting. I find that a valid point as well.

I always value your input, since you have a deeper technical understanding than I do. I just didn't agree with you on the picture making viewpoint.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I had planned to soup all my 70mm in dr5 until Ilfochrome was noted as being discontinued. I don't really want to use any hybrid at all in my fine art workflow. A frame off of the roll we ran a few years ago has made an incredible 40" print on Ilfochrome, grainless and stunning.

I am still working on my test trio...trying to make art more than a test. Once I get my head around it, I will figure out what I am going to do with my future with it.

Quote Originally Posted by dr5chrome View Post
    Haven't we discussed this in the past? There is no alternative to processing TP unless you have Tecnadol - FOR NEGS.
    But - there is dr5 processed TP in specialized conditions. We see this film still - much of it. It produces a spectacular chrome shot correctly, in the right conditions. Consistent processing? that would be here... but not for negs.

I would be interested in the 120 & 4x5, 8x10 formats. If you need it taken off your hands.

dw

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Emil,

By 'pictorial' use I mean a use of the film that is intended for full grayscale printing. Traditionally, Technical pan was a very high contrast film, brilliant for use in astrophotography for its extremely high resolving power and incredible reciprocity characteristics. But mostly its high contrast prohibited use of the film in traditional work with lots of grayscale in between full white and full black.

But some people learned how to use the film that way anyway, more or less successfully. My dad used it with Rodinal at 1+200 dilution with wonderful results. You used Tetenal Doku, and there seems to be other developers that will allow you to produce a full tonal scale from this high contrast film.

- Thomas
    Hi Thomas, I haven't yet read the entire thread but enjoying this read so far. About your comments above, that full grayscale printing you're talking about is something I achieve so easily with Adox Art 25 CHS. It's available in 35mm, 120, and various sheet film sizes, mine being 4x5. It delivers incredibly grain free negatives, and such a rich grayscale with most developers. When I want 100% grain free appearance, I develop in Adolux ATM developer which is the developer Adox recommends for the film. When I want a little more punch I develop with Rodinal 1:50. There's endless gray with this film!

Perry
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    And of course I don't shake sheet film!
    I do! BTZS Tubes man! If you need rapid agitation, consider buying the BTZS Tubes system for 4x5 or 8x10. You can really "manhandle" them once they are tightened shut and with developer inside. I liberally agitate the first 30 seconds of any batch of sheet film I'm processing using the BTZS tubes. It's the quickest way to get a total even coating and saturation of the emulsion. My opinion of course. Also it helps to get some of the liquid behind the film to remove the coating and the "manhandling" achieves that about half the time making for faster fixing/rinsing times.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Perry,

If you use Tech Pan for anything other than its intended purpose, it is probably not going to be to achieve a perfect grayscale. Quite the contrary, one would more likely use it to produce high contrast effects.

I guess it's up to each and every one of us how we wish to use our materials, but if I had a boat load of it sitting in the freezer, I'd find a way of using it. That seems to be the Original Poster's situation as well, and I guess by providing examples of how one can make it work, or finding examples of not using it that way, might provide some guidance for making a decision. Or not.

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Way View Post
    Hi Thomas, I haven't yet read the entire thread but enjoying this read so far. About your comments above, that full grayscale printing you're talking about is something I achieve so easily with Adox Art 25 CHS. It's available in 35mm, 120, and various sheet film sizes, mine being 4x5. It delivers incredibly grain free negatives, and such a rich grayscale with most developers. When I want 100% grain free appearance, I develop in Adolux ATM developer which is the developer Adox recommends for the film. When I want a little more punch I develop with Rodinal 1:50. There's endless gray with this film!

Perry
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    I have been reading this whole thread with interest.

I'm sorry if you, Michael is "out"...

I have used the TechPan a couple of times outside, making some portraits, but the most important reaction I have, from reading the posts is "a dare"...

So I'll dig out a couple of TP films and try and see what I get in landscape, using the Doku as developer.

If I'm wrong, I'll bend my head in shame (but with more knowlegde, which is a good thing) - If I am right, well... (dunno...)

Let's see..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thomas - no worries We don't often see eye to eye on these things, but that's totally ok with me. At the very least it makes for interesting discussions. I just wanted to back off here because I felt like I was starting to bash the posted examples outright, which was not my intention.

Gandolfi - in the end it is down to what you want to achieve, the look you're going for in the print. Even if the results are not to my taste, it certainly doesn't mean they are incorrect or bad. I'm just one photographer out of millions. I was just trying to put information on the table for OP with respect to how these types of films and developers work. The overall contrast range, and the rendering of subject tones are significantly different than general purpose films, and one should be aware of these things before going out into the field to make masterpieces. Depending on the desired outcome, Tech Pan could yield great results, or disastrous results, and there is not a whole lot of latitude in between with these films. So I'm not sure there can be any objective conclusion to your tests, only personal conclusions. I might find the results unacceptable, while someone else finds them stunning, and of course printing skill is a critical variable. In any case, I'm glad this thread has remained cordial. It is always better that way.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin