Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,581   Online: 984

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm really glad this thread has value beyond my questions, keep it up guys!

I guess I am no hurry to make a decision quite yet, still need to finish my test trio and give it more thought. The tempting thing is the thousands of dollars of capital selling it all off would give me to buy more paper and other films...it's tempting. But if I can use TP to great effect that can in turn, become very salable prints, then it is worth holding onto.

I guess I just look at the workflow of shooters I respect that pull in great incomes from doing brilliant work on very simplified setups in terms of film, paper and even camera choice and know what that is worth too, consistency, more time in the field, less hassle, etc...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Here's the rub: it's not the equipment that makes photographs, it's the photographers who make the photographs.

Yes, TechPan and other film behave differently from normal pictoral films. Figure out what they do, and know what they do, and then you can use them to their strengths. I didn't stock up on TechPan because I was enjoying large format. I have found the grain of Acros to be nearly as good as TechPan, and certaintly finer than TMax or Delta.

It really depends on what you want to do, with what, and what characteristics you want in the final image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay, so here's some 135 Kodak TP landscape shots from late 2010, developed in Rodinal 1:100, scanned from negative on very cheap scaner.
    Note that this film expiration date was 1985, it was stored in the fridge for 25 years before it was waisted for those shots.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

To Techpan or not to Techpan....that is my question...

Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I'm really glad this thread has value beyond my questions, keep it up guys!

I guess I am no hurry to make a decision quite yet, still need to finish my test trio and give it more thought. The tempting thing is the thousands of dollars of capital selling it all off would give me to buy more paper and other films...it's tempting. But if I can use TP to great effect that can in turn, become very salable prints, then it is worth holding onto.

I guess I just look at the workflow of shooters I respect that pull in great incomes from doing brilliant work on very simplified setups in terms of film, paper and even camera choice and know what that is worth too, consistency, more time in the field, less hassle, etc...
    Hey Dan, was there ever a conclusion? What happened to the test rolls? Would love to see comparisons.

I shot and developed a roll of TP in DD-X the other day, very contrasty, shot at EI 8 I believe, but after looking at the film base, it's completely clear with no fogging (it was old stock from the 80's so I cut the exposure 2 stops but perhaps I could have kept it normal after seeing how clear the base was).

I've also been promised a bottle of Technidol from a poster and hope it actually comes but the DD-X sure gave fine grained (no grain) results but highly contrasty so wondering how your experiments went.

Cheers

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin