Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,107   Online: 855

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

n00b Film Development

Hello.

I'm new to shooting 35mm black & white and will be developing my own film (Ilford FP4+ and HP5+). I have compiled a list of what I plan to purchase from B&H Photo and was hoping the members of this fine forum can chime in and give their opinion(s) regarding my choices. Negatives will be scanned, so development of my negatives is about as far as my process will go for now.

Thanks in advance for your input.

- Kalt Large Changing Bag Double Zipper with Elastic Arm Holes (27x30")
    - Paterson Multi-Reel 3 Tank ONLY (Super System 4)
    - Paterson Auto Load Adjustable Reel for Super System 4 Tanks
    - General Brand 1-3/4" Stainless Steel Dial Thermometer
    - Paterson Plastic Beaker (Ounce and Metric Graduations) (32oz)
    - Delta 1 Datatainer Storage Bottle with Liquid Level Clear Measuring Stripe (32oz)
    - Print File Archival Storage Page for Negatives, 35mm, 7-Strips of 5-Frames (100-pack)

- Ilford Ilfosol-3 Film Developer for Black and White Film
    - Ilford Ilfostop Stop Bath
    - Ilford Rapid Fixer
    - Kodak Photo-Flo 200 Solution

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How many reels you are supposed to put in that Multi reel tank?
    E.g. if it fits 2 i think you need to get all two, if you are only doing one roll u still need to keep the one reel with film at the bottom.

General Brand 1-3/4" Stainless Steel Dial Thermometer , alternative, go buy a digital kitchen thermometer at walmart or equiv.

You can also buy a plastic beaker at Walmart or equiv.

Stop bath? go buy some White Vinegar and dilute it more.

Optional, might wanna look for a film squeegee.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dehk View Post
    How many reels you are supposed to put in that Multi reel tank?
    E.g. if it fits 2 i think you need to get all two, if you are only doing one roll u still need to keep the one reel with film at the bottom.

General Brand 1-3/4" Stainless Steel Dial Thermometer , alternative, go buy a digital kitchen thermometer at walmart or equiv.

You can also buy a plastic beaker at Walmart or equiv.

Stop bath? go buy some White Vinegar and dilute it more.

Optional, might wanna look for a film squeegee.
    Three reels.

Wow. White vinegar? That's awesome! What's the dilution ratio for that?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah make sure you buy all reels, personally i'd use one reel tank unless you are shooting a lot. Remember you can only develop same film that's shot at same speed all at once.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum225/...stop-bath.html
    - Derek

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I agree w Dehk, I have a Patterson collecting dust when I use for 35mm a single SS tank, it
    Is more "personal" feel to me.

Also you will want a beaker for dev, stop, fix (at least)
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the link, dehk.

I will be shooting 2 to 3 rolls per week, so I figured the 3-roll tank would be a good choice. With regard to the beakers and storage bottles, I will be purchasing several.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, Have fun and make sure you share you results!
    - Derek

Shooter
    35mm
    Of course. =)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The stop bath is actually cheaper than vinegar if you process a lot of film, but it really shines if you start printing. Somewhere on APUG there is a thread that includes a calculation of how much to dilute white vinegar.

As you are in southern California, you may find that Freestyle would be a good alternative source for supplies.

Get one good Paterson beaker - the rest can be kitchen supplies from the dollar store which you can check against the Paterson one.

Personally, I prefer the AP or Arista Premium reels (they are sold under various names) - they have wider flanges and therefore make loading 120 easier, but fit into Paterson tanks. Here is a link: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/55043-...eveloping-Reel

I agree with the digital kitchen thermometer suggestion. I use something like this: http://www.target.com/p/Gourmet-Stai...e/-/A-11011171

I do, however, check my kitchen thermometer against a high quality reference.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the info, Matt. I truly appreciate it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin