Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,193   Online: 993

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fbfotografie View Post
    Darko, what do you mean by strong agitation. Is it shaking or just many 180 degree turnovers?

Ps. great pictures on your site btw.
    180 degree with very fast agitation - it is hard for me to explain: while turning 180 degree I also make a shake - something like mixing a cocktail drink.

and thanks for compliment

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Everybody, thanks for your reaction, keep them coming.

To be honest, patients is not one of my strong sites. I know that during the excitement of shooting my exposure can be 1 or 2 stops off....well, when shooting digital this is not a real problem...shooting film I can imaging this is an somewhat different story. That's the main reason I was interested in semi-stand. If you can develop different speed films in the same solution, you can also develop frames shot with different exposures on the same film without over- or under developing.

To show that my semi-stand developing is not a complete failure, some shots from this weekend:

More grain so underexposed?

On the left you see the uneven developing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think lots of people get a bit to technical with stand development. When I do it, I usually throw caution to the wind. The process it self is designed for much looser variables than regular development, from EI, to temps, to volume of liquids, and agitation consistency. Everyone may have their method, but in the end there is very little difference in outcome.

Some key things though: when using rodinal, there must be atleast 3.5ml of concentrated developer per roll of 36exp or 120 film. More water is always better than less (so 1:100 is 3.5ml:350ml but 375-425ml is ok as well). If using 2 reel tanks, only 1 reel should be loaded with film. Only do 2 rolls of film if you have a larger tank. Dont attempt this in single reel tanks.

Semi stand works much better than stand. I like to agitate initially only for 20 seconds, and somewhere at the halfway mark I do 2 gentle inversions. Sometimes I leave it for an hour, usually I forget, or dont watch the clock at the start and it goes over, 10, 20, 30min. Not a big deal.

I find that you have to find the right combination of film for stand development, some just dont look good at all in it, other shine. What you have looks fine. The dog photo looks great, nice tones. For the street musician, I think it has to do more with the lens flare than it has to do with exposure limiting your contrast in that scene, but the semi stand development probably helped bring out a lot of detail that would have been lost, such as within the trumpet, and the shadow areas on the back of his jacket or the details on the pavement.

Do a few more rolls, and you can develop your own preferred way for semistand.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I haven't had uneven development with Rodinal stand, and I only fill the tank as much to cover the reel. But I always pre-soak. And give 30 sec of initial agitation.

I disagree with the above 3.5ml thing. I only use enough solution to cover the reels, whether it is 1+100, 1+125, 1+150 or 1+200.

Too much agitation and then letting it sit for some time would cause uneven development I would think, as you're increasing the developer activity.

Try less agitation, ie; initial 30 secs gentle agitation after a presoak. Then do a pure stand, or do 2 gentle inversions in the middle of the time for semi-stand.

1+100 is also too strong for some films.
    Last edited by Athiril; 02-14-2012 at 05:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Love the dog picture, lovely tones.

A little dark, but after all, it's a photo of a black dog on a dark couch and one light source ^^
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin