Switch to English Language Passer en langue franįaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,036   Online: 892

Thread: Fomapan R-100

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fomapan R-100

Hi all,
    I was browsing JandC catalog and I saw this film.
    I'm interested in it, so I have a few questions to the people who have used it:
    - Does it have a clear or gray base?
    - Can it be used as a negative film? If so, what ISO would be recommended

Thanks
    Mama took my APX away.....

Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    Hi all,

Thanks
    The base is clear but it is a reversal only film. It needs to be bleached to clear it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ok, I'll go with Efke 100 and 25 then
    Thnaks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    was just out of curiosity.... i was looking for a clear based film such as MACO

PS I found a thread @photo.net about this film
    Last edited by titrisol; 11-10-2004 at 12:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

fomapan r100

Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    Hi all,

Thanks
    can anyone help with info on this film, who makes it and can it be obtained in the UK
    I would like to try it, thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    '...can it be obtained in the UK...'

Retro sell it. There's more info on their site.

Best,
    Helen

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    DW,

just like John said, it canīt be processed as negative film - it has a AHU mask of colloid silver under the emulsion which is only removed in the bleach bath of a reversal process. I tried a clip test out of curiosity when I preprared the article on how to deal with the Foma kit.

If you donīt believe me, take a snip and throw it in fix, it wonīt clear, it will look like a unprocesses E6 film (they actually use the same AHU approach).

The base is a clear polyester base, the filmspeed in their original kit is close to 100-125ASA and the film has a very wide exposure latitude - it is very forgiving on exposure and in the first development. Quite nice for beginners.

Baronfoxx,

Foma in the Czech Republic is the maker.

Helen,

Retro has started a cooperation with Fotoimpex just recently...
    Tschüss,
    Roman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    dr5 wrote:
    'There are many ways to deal with this type of backing.'

Could there be two completely different versions of R-100? The anti-halation layer in the R-100 I've used was definitely not a backing - it was an interlayer between the emulsion and the base. It behaves very differently from the carbon rem-jet AH backing I'm used to, for example. It's less dense, apart from other physical properties - it doesn't look as much like an AH layer. I've never developed R-100 to a neg though. (Rem-jet, or the Fuji equivalent, is used on all current colour neg motion picture film as far as I know, and Kodachrome - though I've never processed Kodachrome!)

Puzzled,
    Helen

rjr
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Helen,

I did not forget the article, just couldnīt spare the time to translate it. Will do, within this year. ;-)

>Could there be two completely different versions of R-100?

Not that I know of. And it wouldnīt make much sense... I believe the Fomapan R100 in our use is a side product of movie film production as the slide market is too small to justify itīs existence and the S8/D8-film lacks a decent marketing.

> The anti-halation layer in the R-100 I've used was definitely not a backing > - it was an interlayer between the emulsion and the base.

A layer of colloidal silver with a brownish cast, yep. One approach to AHU, just like Junge/Huebner list in their book "Fotografische Chemie". The others are

- greybase
    - backing of carbon/resin
    - backing of pigments/resin

> I've never developed R-100 to a neg though.

I did, out of curiosity. Only a sniplet, but I ended up with a negative on a brown and opaque backing. Imagine an unprocessed E6 film with a bw negative on itīs front.

I see no way of getting rid of it -without loosing the image- but a bleach and fix (or blix).

>Puzzled,
    >Helen
    Tschüss,
    Roman

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin