Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,826   Online: 794

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Reversal processing: when can I turn the lights on

I am about to make my first attempts at reversal processing; I plan on doing sheet film. I process on hangers in a deep tank.

Processing is done in a film changing room, and the ventilation is... well... it's not ventilated. At what point in the process can I take the film out into room light?

I will be following the procedure listed in the 3rd edition of the Darkroom Cookbook.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Once you've done the reversal exposure then in theory you can leave the lights on. In practice as long as you're not workingt in sunlight there won't be a problem.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or, if you are reversing chemically, after the reversing bath. I usally wait until after a water rinse that follows the reversing bath for my DIY process. I use a tiny bit of an obscure compound I bought from JD Photochem prior to thier closing for my B&W reversals called sodium borohydride. I prefere it to tin based ones, which I regard as toxic big time.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you Ian.

Mike: I plan on starting with re-exposing the film with light. 150w bulb seems to be what's recommended. I may explore chemical reversal, but not until I get the hang of things. What would you say the advantages of chemical reversal are, with the obvious exception of the fact that you don't have to take the film off the reel?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can leave the film on the reel, worked just fine 40+ years ago for Anscochrome and b&w reversal with a light bulb, no reason it won't work these days.
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You dont have to take the film off the reel!

And damage it (esp with re-threading while wet!) handy for long rolls and multiple rolls.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Great news! I'm useless at loading stainless reels. I prefer the Patterson plastic ones, but they're impossible to load when wet. Thanks!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco Buonocore View Post
    Great news! I'm useless at loading stainless reels. I prefer the Patterson plastic ones, but they're impossible to load when wet. Thanks!
    To load plastic reels when wet, hold them and film under water.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ..wait to go light until the next step after the 2nd development.

dw

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    To load plastic reels when wet, hold them and film under water.
    I used to unload the film from reels, and reload under water. It did help prevent damage to the emulsion. I don't bother unloading now as I have found there is no need.

I use a 150w flood light in the dakroom and I open the developing tank once the clearing bath is in. After the clearing bath time is up, and I have the film washing in water, I lift the film reels out of the tank and roll around to get light to every part of the film surface.
    Cheers - Andy C
    ---------------------

16mm Cine, 35mm, 120, 5x4 & 7x5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin