Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,097   Online: 1083

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Clive, remember that what you are doing is inducing the Sabattier effect. You are not Solarizing the film.

With Sabattier, you superimpose a positive image on a negative image during processing by means of a short flash. Solarization is gotten by very very long exposures in-camera.

Also, Solarization is very uncommon with paper, as it requires a camera exposure and it uses very long exposures due to the low paper speeds.

They look quite different.

PE

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Clive, remember that what you are doing is inducing the Sabattier effect. You are not Solarizing the film.

With Sabattier, you superimpose a positive image on a negative image during processing by means of a short flash. Solarization is gotten by very very long exposures in-camera.

Also, Solarization is very uncommon with paper, as it requires a camera exposure and it uses very long exposures due to the low paper speeds.

They look quite different.

PE
    Photo engineer, did I say otherwise? I do know the difference.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Clive;

The implication of the concatenated posts by you and by massimix could lead one to either conclusion. In fact, the comment on doing it with film (usually done in-camera), and using short high intensity flashes, rather than long low intensity illumination can be particularly confusing to some.

I jumped in, perhaps an unwarranted jump on my part, but for others reading the thread.

Sorry.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just to add an example, here are two versions of a shot I did. One is a contact print and the other was given a couple of circuits of a small flashlight while it was in the developer. I have a few prints of this image that I did this way and each is slightly different.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imgc571-sm.jpg   imgc574-1.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very nice!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Let's call it pseudo-solarisation, so no-one gets confused! By the way, to my surprise, I see that Silverprint.co.uk still sell Ilfospeed graded paper, and also a developer called Solarol http://www.silverprint.co.uk/Product...asp?PrGrp=5023 Anyone tried this? (or a similar one)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Solarol developer is worthwhile for anyone wanting good results with little experimenting. It works on both film and paper. Both should be high contrast. I've used it with Tech Pan and litho film. Tech Pan sheet film was shot at an exposure index of maybe 25. For developing, it was inserted in a cut-down film hanger to keep it submersed in the developing tray and backed by a fully exposed and developed sheet of scrap film to eliminate reflections from the film hanger. A water bath preceeded development. This is important to insure even development. The film was developed for about 45 seconds with constant agitation for the first 30 seconds. Then it was briefly flashed. More than a few seconds of flashing degrades the Sabattier effect. A small electronic flash is efficient and consistant. After another 45 seconds with no agitation the film is transferred to the stop bath and processed normally. My avatar was shot on Tech Pan and the below image was shot on litho film, both processed with Solarol for psuedo-solarization. Litho film has the advantage of permitting one to monitor the developing under a safelight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Symph20e.jpg  

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    One Film Solarization, One Print Solarization Ilford Warmtone
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Negative Solarization.jpg   Print Solarization.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob, is the print a Solarization or is it the Sabbatier effect?

PE

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Ron - you know me and my thoughts on the paper Mr Jolly wrote... I call them solarizations but they probably would be called Sabbatier.

I am only here once a week talk later.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin