Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,801   Online: 970

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Bluejeh, thanks for the book reference and do you know if there is a metol only film developer available to buy, or do I have to make one?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all this brilliant information, especially Bob Carnie. I tried to post here earlier, but nothing showed up for some reason (to be looked at by moderators before, it said).

To cliveh: This developer, Solarol, should work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejeh View Post
    Solarization Demystified

Historical, Artistic and Technical Aspects of the Sabatier Effect By William L. Jolly

http://www.cchem.berkeley.edu/wljeme/SOUTLINE.html
    Thanks for pointing out that book. Looks like a great resource.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Masimix,
    attached a scan of a somewhat dog-eared print from a Sabattier-ised negative (or solarised - take your pick). 120 format film, shot in dark on flash. About half way through development I switched off the darkroom lights and removed film from tank and took it off the reel. When holding it horizontally in from of me, I got my wife to switch on a shaded table lamp and off again after counting to two seconds.

I then re-loaded the film to the reel, replaced in tank, switched on darkroom lights and finished the development. This prints as normal negative.

It's actually pretty easy, but I'd say that I was probably lucky in not over-exposing with the flash.

I've tried a few times to create sabattier effect by flashing prints when in developer, but with varied success.

I attach an example print (erroneously entitled blue solarisation) which was done using toners and not through exposure to light.

Hope all this helps,
    Niall
    Attached Files

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Late 80's I met a dude who really wanted to go back to his Timothy Leary days with his colour work.
    This was before photoshop actions ..

At the time I was working in a E6 C41 lab.... what we would do is load up his film on the racks , make sure all other client film was past the critical point and then wait for the lift action to raise the film completely out of the dev about half way and flick on the room lights... this was colour negative film and the effect was pretty cool. Because it was colour negative printing different effects was very easy.

We all have heard of cross process C41 in E6 chemicals.... one of our clients had a formula that had us pushing the development 4 stops which meant he would have a real under exposing situation... The effect was very surreal positive images, many tried to match his look but few were successful.. I believe the severe under expose and severe over dev and picking the right film was the trick.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    If you are using a regular developer you will have varied success... a Metol based (Soloral) developer is what needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Niall Bell View Post
    Masimix,
    attached a scan of a somewhat dog-eared print from a Sabattier-ised negative (or solarised - take your pick). 120 format film, shot in dark on flash. About half way through development I switched off the darkroom lights and removed film from tank and took it off the reel. When holding it horizontally in from of me, I got my wife to switch on a shaded table lamp and off again after counting to two seconds.

I then re-loaded the film to the reel, replaced in tank, switched on darkroom lights and finished the development. This prints as normal negative.

It's actually pretty easy, but I'd say that I was probably lucky in not over-exposing with the flash.

I've tried a few times to create sabattier effect by flashing prints when in developer, but with varied success.

I attach an example print (erroneously entitled blue solarisation) which was done using toners and not through exposure to light.

Hope all this helps,
    Niall

Shooter
    35mm
    To Marius,
    I'm a new member on this site and I will share my preferred Sabatier print method. I use multigrade photo paper and whatever print developer, like Dektol. I start with a no. 2 1/2 or 3 filter and expose for a regular print and run the usual test strips. Then I raise the enlarger unit up some, take out the negative carrier, set the aperture wide open and put in the no. 5 filter, and put paper towels down all around. Then I throw the exposed paper in the developer for half the normal developing time. Have a tray of clean water ready and wash the print, then squeegee it off really good against a hard surface (do not put it in the stop bath or fixer) Be careful not to scratch it since the emulsion is wet and soft. I make sure I don't leave water drops on the paper because they'll make it look blurry in those areas. Then I run a second set of test strips perpendicular to the first set by blasting it with light from the enlarger already set up. I finish the developing time and fix the print as normal. I pick out the most interesting affects and note the exposure times for each filter. Then repeat the same procedure for each filter and exposure time for the final print (hopefully). -ge

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Now that I have had time to look at the post from Bluejeh, re –

http://www.cchem.berkeley.edu/wljeme/SOUTLINE.html

This seems to be the definitive work on this subject and would encourage anyone interested in this technique to read it.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin