Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,536   Posts: 1,572,737   Online: 760

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

LPD and shelf life?

Hi All,

A question on LPD paper developer as I am getting ready to mix my first batch. I am liking what I read regarding changing image tone with dilution. I had previously used Zonal pro HQ when I wanted a warmtone on neutral cold paper and liked it very much. Then suddenly like so much in this area of photography it disappeared. I tried the supposedly equivalent Arista HQ warmtone developer from freestyle and did not like it at all(perhaps i should change the dilution). So LPD is next for testing as an alternative. When they say is has long try life they don't mean Ansco 130 try life do they or are they referring to strong activity throughout one printing session??? I have been using Ansco for over two months in my slot processor and quite happy with it so interested how LPD would fit into my workflow.

Any experiences shared are greatly appreciated.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I recently started using this on the advice of Don Cardwell. Between printing sessions, it stays in a one liter glass bottle; I use the stock to top off the bottle after each session (replacing what was lost through absorption). It has been working very well for me, seems very consistent and truly long lasting. Nice not to have to dump it after each printing session.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    LPD can be used as a replenished developer. There are directions for proper mixtures for normal use and how to mix as a replenisher. This stuff lasts forever, I just keep my one liter bottle topped off and keep going. It lasts weeks or even months between uses if kept in a full sealed bottle.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    LPD and 130 are my two developers that I use. Nothing lasts as long as 130 in my experience. LPD is quite good though! As far as changing image tone with dilution don't expect huge changes, it is very very subtle, some may not even notice. You'd be better off using LPD at 1:4 or 1:5 for a warm tone developer, and 130 with some benzotriazole as a cold tone developer. Both are great developers, you can't go wrong either way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I mixed LPD for a printing session in October. I printed then, then again a month later in November. Then I didn't get to print until January - same one quart (quart, not a gallon) bottle of working solution, not even topped off, still working. Color is slightly darkened but not that much and activity seems unchanged. This coming weekend I'll probably either mix fresh out of an abundance of caution or at least top it off with fresh as it's down to maybe 3/4 the original amount just from what the prints have carried out into the stop.

LPD has been my favorite print developer for decades.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you all for the great insight. Is there any documentation to replenishment posted? replenish with stock or 1:1 if my initial working solution is such? Sounds like this would be a method that could work for me. Been burned a few times on developer going bad so I lean towards long life solutions.

Thanks again all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To replenish LPD:

First fresh kit:

1. Mix a gallon kit as stock solution, as described on the package. Use distilled water, or at least boiled water.

2. Take 1/3 and mix it 1:2 for 1 gallon working solution.

3. The remaining 2/3 and mix it 2:1 as replenisher.

Add 300ml per qty 30 8x10 prints, and top off the working solution after each printing session as necessary with replenisher.

When you run out of replenisher, you mix your second gallon kit:

1. Instead of mixing the 1/3 of stock with water, mix it with the old developer.

2. Mix the remaining 2/3 the same way as the first time around, at 2:1 as replenisher.

It's a great way to use it, and prints with wonderful range and tones.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Note that LPD comes in two forms, powder and liquid concentrate. The powder seems to be much more popular because it is, naturally enough, considerably less expensive (and also keeps practically forever before mixing, I would think, since it comes in a metal can.) The liquid is, also obviously, very convenient though. The liquid is twice as concentrated as the powder. So for the concentrate they recommend 1+4 dilution for normal tones, 1+2 for cold tones, 1+6 to 1+8 for warm, where for the powder mixed to stock they recommend 1+2 for neutral, 1+1 or full strength for cold, 1+3 or 1+4 for warm.

I happen to have both a (half used) bottle of concentrate and an unopened can. This talk of replenishment was new to me so I just checked the labels. Both say to write for a brochure on replenishment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    To replenish LPD:

First fresh kit:

1. Mix a gallon kit as stock solution, as described on the package. Use distilled water, or at least boiled water.

2. Take 1/3 and mix it 1:2 for 1 gallon working solution.

3. The remaining 2/3 and mix it 2:1 as replenisher.

Add 300ml per qty 30 8x10 prints, and top off the working solution after each printing session as necessary with replenisher.

When you run out of replenisher, you mix your second gallon kit:

1. Instead of mixing the 1/3 of stock with water, mix it with the old developer.

2. Mix the remaining 2/3 the same way as the first time around, at 2:1 as replenisher.

It's a great way to use it, and prints with wonderful range and tones.
    Oops, I left the question about replenishment on the screen while I did a couple of other things and stopped by the darkroom to check the labels, then came back and posted. In the meantime you posted this.

I may try this. I'd like to modify it a bit, maybe mix 1/2 gallon of working solution considering that's enough for my largest trays and I don't get to print that much. Is there any real advantage to mixing the "replenisher" as soon as you mix the stock? Why not just leave it stock and dilute before replenishing? Obviously it has a long shelf life but, again, I don't get to print that much or that often so anything that prolongs the life of my solutions is good for me. It would also mean fewer storage bottles. I have quite an embarrassment of shelves full of various mixed potions already.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those are just Ethol's recommendations of how to replenish it. I don't know if you can modify it or not, but you're sorta on your own if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Oops, I left the question about replenishment on the screen while I did a couple of other things and stopped by the darkroom to check the labels, then came back and posted. In the meantime you posted this.

I may try this. I'd like to modify it a bit, maybe mix 1/2 gallon of working solution considering that's enough for my largest trays and I don't get to print that much. Is there any real advantage to mixing the "replenisher" as soon as you mix the stock? Why not just leave it stock and dilute before replenishing? Obviously it has a long shelf life but, again, I don't get to print that much or that often so anything that prolongs the life of my solutions is good for me. It would also mean fewer storage bottles. I have quite an embarrassment of shelves full of various mixed potions already.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin