Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,182   Online: 688

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helinophoto View Post
    It' strange that Dilution H gives you guys a time of 9 minutes though, because it's twice diluted from B, which the recommended dev time is is 5:30 at massive dev chart. (I often use 6 minutes at Dilution B, but reduce agitation a little the last two minutes).

Any particular reason you guys are not using a time of 11-12 minutes at dilution H ?
    The Fuji data sheet specs 4:30 at 20ºC for Dil B. So I tried around 9:00 for H and it gave me good results. I do typically incident meter for ISO 80. I can't claim to have done any fancy personal EI testing on it, and different folks have different ideas as to what they want, not to mention variations in working methods, agitation, etc.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just jumping on the bandwagon here as someone else who has had good luck with dilution H for 9 minutes at 20C. My test notes say that I liked this dilution/time when rated anywhere between 50 and 100 ISO, although I know in practice I have almost always rated it at 100. Fuji's spec. calls for an EI of 80, so this all seems consistent with their recommendation.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just did 1 hour stand last night with Acros 120 @ box speed in HC-110 1:100 (couldn't find a thermometer).

Good density, perfectly even.

But it is the worst looking stuff ever, gradients become flat tones of one solid tone. Changes/details at below a certain contrast threshold disappear entirely, like someone has taken it to photoshop and ran healing brush intricately over it all removing certain things. Trying to raise the contrast, even on a scan with levels or curves, until both blacks and a whites have heavy clipping.. it still looks like having a lack of contrast, when you've clipped most of the pic!

It's like a really heavy negative local contrast has been applied. It is bizarre.
    Last edited by Athiril; 05-10-2012 at 12:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    I just did 1 hour stand last night with Acros 120 @ box speed in HC-110 1:100 (couldn't find a thermometer).

Good density, perfectly even.

But it is the worst looking stuff ever, gradients become flat tones of one solid tone. Changes/details at below a certain contrast threshold disappear entirely, like someone has taken it to photoshop and ran healing brush intricately over it all removing certain things. Trying to raise the contrast, even on a scan with levels or curves, until both blacks and a whites have heavy clipping.. it still looks like having a lack of contrast, when you've clipped most of the pic!

It's like a really heavy negative local contrast has been applied. It is bizarre.
    Sounds like dev exhaustion. It does the same to me if I semi-stand it in Rodinal 1+100 (5mL/roll), whereas 1+50 (10mL/roll) looks quite good. I've given up on stand-developed Acros and it's not like it needs the shadow boost anyway.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Rodinal stand has always given me accentuated details.

This.. this is as about as opposite from Rodinal standing as I could imagine.

I've got patterns and design on this shirt I was wearing, and it actually came out as a plain black t-shirt. And the shirt is a large continuous area, much lower density than other parts of the neg, being black.

Many of the gradient/detail areas that are now single tone essentially aren't as high density as some other areas.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin