Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,148   Online: 837

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

ACROS 120 in HC-110. Times???

Up to the moment I was using Xtol for developing the ACROS 120 with really nice results. However, I have 3/4 of an HC-110 developer bottle and I think to start using it more often as the liquid will start to getting weak in a while.

The problem is that I haven't read anywhere around a recommended dilution-time combination. I use dilution H most for the other films.

Anybody has tried this combination with good results? Please, let me know about the dilution and time used.

Thanx!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Massive development chart at Digital Truth for the answer.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dilution H, 9 minutes at 68ºF would be a place to start. I usually set the meter to ISO 80, but everybody has their own methods -- and madness!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I rate Acros at ISO 125 and develop in HC-110 1:50 for 9 minutes at 68 degrees. Agitation is three inversions every minute. I like the film, but not as much as TMX or Delta 100.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't know about dilution H, but I developed a roll of Acros with HC110 dilution B (1:31 from concentrate) for 5:30 a couple of days ago and it turned out fine. On a side note, it was the first roll I've ever developed

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I really like 1:100 ratio, 10 minutes at 68/20 degrees. The problem with any numbers someone gives you is that development is tied to how you print. So for me, since I scan, not print, and have a cheap scanner, I go for a somewhat flat or underdeveloped negative. If I was printing on a cold head enlarger I'd want thicker negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @Dan Daniel: by thicker negatives, you mean stronger contrast. Right? Now, I do scan my negatives, but in the future some of them will go for printing in the darkroom.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Iridium View Post
    @Dan Daniel: by thicker negatives, you mean stronger contrast. Right? Now, I do scan my negatives, but in the future some of them will go for printing in the darkroom.
    Yep, stronger contrast. Basically the same shadow look, but just extended densities in the upper end. I realized recently how I have been compressing my negatives for my scanner (epson v500- low end of usable) when I had a chance to scan the same negatives on an Imacon. At standard settings, the full range of my negatives filled up about 2/3 to 3/4 of the range the Imacon offered, based on the histograms and how commercially developed color negatives were showing on the histogram.

I have NOT printed any of these negatives on an enlarger, with either a condenser or soft head. It's been a long time since I have done any enlarger printing, but my gut feeling is that my present negatives are pretty thin compared to what I used for wet chemistry enlarging. I mention this just so people have an idea of some of the key factors in my time of 10 minutes. Any development time and such involves the full process, from shooting to final print. Other peoples' time are helpful but you have to make it work for your specific end result.
    Last edited by Dan Daniel; 02-20-2012 at 05:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, a few days ago I had my first ACROS 120 in HC-110 @ nominal ISO. Dilution H, 9 min., continuous agitation for the first 30 sec., then 2 inversions every minute.

The result was nice. The film was shot under low light and night. I got detail in the shadows. The liquid after the development got a mint green colour.

Apart from that, I could admit that Fuji Acros is a great film and the best for low light and night photography (on a tripod), as it doesn't need adjustments for normal exposure times. In general Fuji has the most sophisticated design on its films. I mean package, spool design, gelatin base, adhesives, etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agree, I love Acros, it pushes extremely well in 120 with HC-110 also (20 minutes in Dilution H for EI400 for example worked well for me).

It' strange that Dilution H gives you guys a time of 9 minutes though, because it's twice diluted from B, which the recommended dev time is is 5:30 at massive dev chart. (I often use 6 minutes at Dilution B, but reduce agitation a little the last two minutes).

Any particular reason you guys are not using a time of 11-12 minutes at dilution H ?
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin