Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,210   Online: 915

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ilford Art 300

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Yes we wheel the sucker in to the darkroom , pump up the safe lights and cut down large rolls for specific purposes. Not really a big deal as the paper cuts very nicely.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Why in the world wouldn't you use a rotary trimmer?
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    Why in the world wouldn't you use a rotary trimmer?
    For a roll sixty foot long a rotary trimmer is not so very convenient!! A fast, sharp, fine-toothed saw will make a nice job of cutting the roll of compact paper (cotton-based in this case) in to two 24" wide rolls, sixty foot long. It's like cutting an artificial log, in effect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Hi Charles,

Our distributor in the Netherlands ( Benelux ) has ordered strongly since it was launched a year ago, if you ask your local reseller to order it in from them they have it in stock.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :
    Hello Simon,

Thanks for the information, I'll certainly pay my reseller a visit. I'm dying to give it a try although have rediscovered the pleasure of the MULTIGRADE IV FB Fiber paper, it's a fabulous product.

Regards
    Charles
    Regards
    Charles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I finally had the chance to try the Ilford 300 Art paper, and it is really wonderful. I tried it with both ilford warmtone developer as well as the standard house developer in the rental darkroom that I use, and I can't say I saw an incredible difference. One thing I did notice, is that it seems to have more contrast at any given grade of filtration. That is, while I usually tend to print using grade 3 setting on the Ilford variable contrast head, I found that I was printing using the grade 1 settings or the highlights would be blank. I guess I could have pre-flashed, but I did get dense blacks even at that setting(surprisingly). One other caveat is that the paper does get very fragile if you leave it in the wash too long. My usual M.O. is to leave prints in the water tray until my session is over, then process them through PermaWash and two 10-15 minute baths in running water for standard Ilford FB. With the Art, it is important to keep moving along the line as per Ilford directions lest the paper start breaking down. Also, it dries wonderfully flat on a screen in a relatively short time. This is a fantastic paper for specific images as it gives an almost "sketch like" quality to the print. Thanks -and congratulations- to Ilford for developing it. Regards, Michael

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Michael,

Very pleased you liked it, interesting what you say about grade spacing, the emulsion is a new one obviously but should not vary from a standard VCFB emulsion grade spacing hardly at all, I think as it has a very good d.max ( maximum black ) you may just be optically moving down a little to get the tonal range, does'nt matter as long as it works for your images.

ART 300 is a very capable wet strength paper ( not easy ) but as always with silver printing : do not underwash or overwash...

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Hi Charles,

Our distributor in the Netherlands ( Benelux ) has ordered strongly since it was launched a year ago, if you ask your local reseller to order it in from them they have it in stock.

Hello Simon,

Having just surfaced from the darkroom, clutching prints, I just wanted to compliment you on a fine product. The paper is a pleasure to hold and use. Just a few tweaks to my process and not forgetting the difference in paper speed and savour the pleasure of a finely crafted result.

Congratulations Ilford and Hahnemühle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hahnemühle_FineArt.jpg  
    Regards
    Charles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear Bateleur,

Thanks for the feedback, its appreciated and very pleased you liked it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin