Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,715   Online: 948

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The American method reflects "I am in a hurry" and/or "I want it now".
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Gould View Post
    I develop tri x in d76 using the ilford method/times for stock great negatives, tried the kodak method and couldn't see any difference between the two.
    Richard
    I'd agree that, for all practical purposes (as opposed to test charts, densitometers and all the other gubbinses), I doubt that there would be any visible difference. Either agitation method will produce an almost continual movement of the solution, and the slight time difference just reflects the different measuring methods.

Any trivial difference are well within the film latitude to give good results anyway, but you can always fine-tune it for any personal preferences. Like so many things in the analog process, starting from effective film speeds, metering, and through to processing and printing, each user will adjust and finetune with experience to get the results they want. And this won't be the same answer for everyone, as we all have different working methods and preferences.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So, to paraphrase P.T. Barnum:
    You can agitate some of the film all the time or
    you can agitate all film some of the time,
    but you can't agitate all of the film all the time...
    Howard

The artist's world is limitless. It can be found anywhere, far from where he lives or a few feet away. It is always on his doorstep. - Paul Strand

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by hvandam2 View Post
    So, to paraphrase P.T. Barnum:
    You can agitate some of the film all the time or
    you can agitate all film some of the time,
    but you can't agitate all of the film all the time...

I like that!

So basically no real difference. No difference for tmax as well?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's the number of time per minute which makes the difference. It doesn't really matter if it's two, three or four inversions each time as it's the first inversion which moves the developer around and puts fresh developer at the emulsion surface. The rest of the inversions are just for peace of mind really.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    It's the number of time per minute which makes the difference. It doesn't really matter if it's two, three or four inversions each time as it's the first inversion which moves the developer around and puts fresh developer at the emulsion surface. The rest of the inversions are just for peace of mind really.

Steve.
    I have ALWAYS thought that, but was too lazy to verify.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin