Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,631   Online: 683

Shooter
    Multi Format

Which is sharper, RC or Fiber based paper?

I did a search on this and came up short. I had been printing on RC pearl for enlarger set up sake, but last night started printing Warmtone fiber gloss and noticed the finest of details were not as sharp, checked focus and even did a quick RC to verify.

It does not necessarilly look bad, but the RC is noticeably sharper upon close inspection. Anyone care to comment on this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RC papers can appear sharper particularly glossy papers and this is most apparent when scanning images. However fibre based papers have a more natural feel because of the texture of the coated paper surface itself.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Which component of sharpness are you concentrating on?

Accutance, contrast or resolution.

As I expect you are aware, accutance tends to have the largest affect on perceived sharpness.

My guess is that the difference in surface texture is affecting your perception of accutance,
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even though it is pearl finish on the RC, I am pretty sure it is the flatness of the paper compared to the subtle peaks and valleys of Fiber that make it look different. The shot is on APX25 at 10 x 10, so there is no grain to speak of, just the finest of details. The contrast on the fiber is greater as are the depth of the tones, looks great. But even though the RC is looking flatter overall as one would expect, it is just rendering details a bit better than the glossy warm tone fiber based paper.

Obviously, despite the softer details, the warm tone fiber is the way to go...

Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post

As I expect you are aware, accutance tends to have the largest affect on perceived sharpness.

My guess is that the difference in surface texture is affecting your perception of accutance,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So I feel a bit silly, when the paper is wet, it looks softer, sharpened up nice when dry, lol!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post

good question. contrst is oftn confused with sharpness.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FB is excellent, but I do a lot of RC because it is easier ( quicker).

Jeff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You can almost here the worms escaping the can...

I find RC to appear sharper when it's on pearl or gloss, but look exactly the same as fiber when compared matte to matte. The glossier versions of fiber paper somewhat get closer to RC...but honestly, I've never really cared that much unless I had a magnifying glass.
    K.S. Klain

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin