Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,155   Online: 810

Shooter
    Medium Format

10" film: what is this?

A couple years ago, I bought on ebay a partial roll of 10 inch wide film. No information what exactly it is, except for the seller's description:

"Offering a partial roll of ILford ASA 80 film, 10" wide, estar thick base . About 1/2 to 3/4" thick on 3" core. (measured with my finger in closet in dead of night). Kept wrapped in plastic and stored in old Kodak box for ease of use in cutting for my pan camera to make 10x20" films. Of course cannot guarantee quality, but this material is from 1990's and should be in decent condition. Always kept in climate controlled conditions. Gross weight in box about 3 pounds, 9 ounces. "
    Any idea what this might be? I'm finally starting to build a darkroom down the basement, and made a sort of jig for cutting down film, so I can finally start using it, but I need to know how to develop it, etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Keystone aerial camera that takes rolls of film 7 in. wide by 25 ft. long. I'm going to guess that your film is for some sort of camera similar to mine.

Could you cut off a short piece then develop it without exposing it to light so you can check for edge markings?
    If you can spot a code or a name on the edge of the film, that would peg it down right away.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was given 2 rolls of 10" wide Kodak aerial film about 5 or 6 years ago, it's a bit thinner than sheet film so may not always lie flat in a DDS.

In the case of the Ilford film I'd process a test piec as if it was FP4, the spectral sensitiviry may be slightly different to normal Pan films.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi

mrfoto1 ( on ebay and off his website ) used to sell the kodak variety ..
    plus x, and pan x aerial films ( 9.5" )
    http://mrfoto1.com/
    he has an info page that has ... info on the film
    developers, uses &c ...

i have a few boxes cut down of a 100' roll i bought from him
    just waiting for the perfect time to use ...

have fun!

john

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ilford used to custom cut 10" for folks with Cirkut Cameras. The aerial film was generally 9.5" and smaller, but there might be some exceptions. I just got the Ilford HP-5+ aerial film and used that (still have quite a bit), but 10" is just a bit handier for Cirkut. Also makes cutting to 8x10 easier.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin