Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,127   Online: 850

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Dilution question

So I am a little confused. So I am going to try developing my first roll of b&w film with Rodinal. The dilution recommended is 1:25

I have a Patterson Universal which I understand holds 500ml. How do I calculate 1:25 for 500ml?

Is it like this?
    500/25 = 20
    500 -20 = 480

So that would mean 20ml of Rodinal go into 480ml of water?

Or am I totally missing something here?

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a million threads on this, but in short...

devel = 500 * 1/25 = 20
    water = 500 - (500 * 1/25) = 480

And at these dilution levels, the disparity between 25 or 26 total parts is not going to make or break things.

I recommend you use 1:50 for your first time, though.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK cool, thanks Clayne. I will take your suggestion and do a 1:50.

Sorry I know its been covered but I kept seeing conflicting answers...but your explanation about the disparity eases my mind.

I developed film a very long time ago but that's when I was in school so all is forgotten

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whenever you see 1:50, within photo-circles and depending on who you're talking to, it could mean anything from 1 part dev, 49 parts water or 1 part dev, 50 parts water. That's why you'll commonly see 1+49, because it's clear it's 1 part dev, 49 parts water. In reality though we're talking .2ml variation - not enough to matter.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shuttershane View Post
    So I am a little confused. So I am going to try developing my first roll of b&w film with Rodinal. The dilution recommended is 1:25

I have a Patterson Universal which I understand holds 500ml. How do I calculate 1:25 for 500ml?

Is it like this?
    500/25 = 20
    500 -20 = 480

Or am I totally missing something here?
    Simple anwser, divide the total required I:E 500 by the dilution +1, in your case 25, so divide 500 by 26,round it up very slightly, and you have your dilution, 20 to 480, this works for any dilution, and came from Patterson many years ago. one suggestion, when using Patterson tanks it is better to put a bit more developer in the tank, I would suggest 600, which at 1/25 works out at 24 developer to 576 water,as patterson reels can slip very slightly up the center colum, and leave a fraction of the film out of the chemicals,
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Gould View Post
    Simple anwser, divide the total required I:E 500 by the dilution +1, in your case 25, so divide 500 by 26,round it up very slightly, and you have your dilution, 20 to 480, this works for any dilution, and came from Patterson many years ago. one suggestion, when using Patterson tanks it is better to put a bit more developer in the tank, I would suggest 600, which at 1/25 works out at 24 developer to 576 water,as patterson reels can slip very slightly up the center colum, and leave a fraction of the film out of the chemicals,
    Richard
    Agree with Richard, and will add that if you have a multi-reel tank, use both reels (set the empty one to take up the slack on the column), put the reel with film at the bottom of course. This will reduce the chance of the reel coming up out of the fluid.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Whenever you see 1:50, within photo-circles and depending on who you're talking to, it could mean anything from 1 part dev, 49 parts water or 1 part dev, 50 parts water. That's why you'll commonly see 1+49, because it's clear it's 1 part dev, 49 parts water. In reality though we're talking .2ml variation - not enough to matter.
    excactly!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shuttershane View Post

Is it like this?
    500/25 = 20
    500 -20 = 480

Yes, that's correct. And it is a 1:25 dilution or, what I prefer, 1+24.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    That's perfectly fine for large dilutions, but when one talks about D-76 at 1:1 (undiluted) vs. 1+1 (1 part D-76 and 1 part water; i.e., 1:2 dilution) it is two very different things in chemistry parlance.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    Yes, that's correct. And it is a 1:25 dilution or, what I prefer, 1+24.
    So is a 1:1 dilution 1+0?

I think it's only chemists who think of 1:25 as one part in a total of twenty five. The rest of us think of it as ratio i.e. one part to twenty five parts.

So 1:1 would be the same as 1+1 i.e. equal quantities of developer and water.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin