Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,127   Online: 850
      
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    30

    Dilution question

    So I am a little confused. So I am going to try developing my first roll of b&w film with Rodinal. The dilution recommended is 1:25

    I have a Patterson Universal which I understand holds 500ml. How do I calculate 1:25 for 500ml?

    Is it like this?
    500/25 = 20
    500 -20 = 480

    So that would mean 20ml of Rodinal go into 480ml of water?

    Or am I totally missing something here?

  2. #2
    clayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,838
    Images
    57
    There's a million threads on this, but in short...

    devel = 500 * 1/25 = 20
    water = 500 - (500 * 1/25) = 480

    And at these dilution levels, the disparity between 25 or 26 total parts is not going to make or break things.

    I recommend you use 1:50 for your first time, though.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

    http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    30
    OK cool, thanks Clayne. I will take your suggestion and do a 1:50.

    Sorry I know its been covered but I kept seeing conflicting answers...but your explanation about the disparity eases my mind.

    I developed film a very long time ago but that's when I was in school so all is forgotten

  4. #4
    clayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,838
    Images
    57
    Whenever you see 1:50, within photo-circles and depending on who you're talking to, it could mean anything from 1 part dev, 49 parts water or 1 part dev, 50 parts water. That's why you'll commonly see 1+49, because it's clear it's 1 part dev, 49 parts water. In reality though we're talking .2ml variation - not enough to matter.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

    http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Jersey Channel Islands
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by shuttershane View Post
    So I am a little confused. So I am going to try developing my first roll of b&w film with Rodinal. The dilution recommended is 1:25

    I have a Patterson Universal which I understand holds 500ml. How do I calculate 1:25 for 500ml?

    Is it like this?
    500/25 = 20
    500 -20 = 480

    So that would mean 20ml of Rodinal go into 480ml of water?

    Or am I totally missing something here?
    Simple anwser, divide the total required I:E 500 by the dilution +1, in your case 25, so divide 500 by 26,round it up very slightly, and you have your dilution, 20 to 480, this works for any dilution, and came from Patterson many years ago. one suggestion, when using Patterson tanks it is better to put a bit more developer in the tank, I would suggest 600, which at 1/25 works out at 24 developer to 576 water,as patterson reels can slip very slightly up the center colum, and leave a fraction of the film out of the chemicals,
    Richard

  6. #6
    chuck94022's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    602
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Gould View Post
    Simple anwser, divide the total required I:E 500 by the dilution +1, in your case 25, so divide 500 by 26,round it up very slightly, and you have your dilution, 20 to 480, this works for any dilution, and came from Patterson many years ago. one suggestion, when using Patterson tanks it is better to put a bit more developer in the tank, I would suggest 600, which at 1/25 works out at 24 developer to 576 water,as patterson reels can slip very slightly up the center colum, and leave a fraction of the film out of the chemicals,
    Richard
    Agree with Richard, and will add that if you have a multi-reel tank, use both reels (set the empty one to take up the slack on the column), put the reel with film at the bottom of course. This will reduce the chance of the reel coming up out of the fluid.

  7. #7
    RalphLambrecht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,464
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Whenever you see 1:50, within photo-circles and depending on who you're talking to, it could mean anything from 1 part dev, 49 parts water or 1 part dev, 50 parts water. That's why you'll commonly see 1+49, because it's clear it's 1 part dev, 49 parts water. In reality though we're talking .2ml variation - not enough to matter.
    excactly!
    Regards

    Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

  8. #8
    Tony-S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    719
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by shuttershane View Post
    I have a Patterson Universal which I understand holds 500ml. How do I calculate 1:25 for 500ml?

    Is it like this?
    500/25 = 20
    500 -20 = 480

    So that would mean 20ml of Rodinal go into 480ml of water?
    Yes, that's correct. And it is a 1:25 dilution or, what I prefer, 1+24.

  9. #9
    Tony-S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    719
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Whenever you see 1:50, within photo-circles and depending on who you're talking to, it could mean anything from 1 part dev, 49 parts water or 1 part dev, 50 parts water. That's why you'll commonly see 1+49, because it's clear it's 1 part dev, 49 parts water. In reality though we're talking .2ml variation - not enough to matter.
    That's perfectly fine for large dilutions, but when one talks about D-76 at 1:1 (undiluted) vs. 1+1 (1 part D-76 and 1 part water; i.e., 1:2 dilution) it is two very different things in chemistry parlance.

  10. #10
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,591
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    Yes, that's correct. And it is a 1:25 dilution or, what I prefer, 1+24.
    So is a 1:1 dilution 1+0?

    I think it's only chemists who think of 1:25 as one part in a total of twenty five. The rest of us think of it as ratio i.e. one part to twenty five parts.

    So 1:1 would be the same as 1+1 i.e. equal quantities of developer and water.



    Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin