Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,775   Posts: 1,484,485   Online: 885

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Speaking from memory here but I recall seeing on Ilford's publication or hearing from Simon that RC of today is expected to last as long as FB; however, there is no historical evidence of it since RC has not existed that long in today's formulation.

I have to say, RC Glossy look significantly different from everything else, but pearl surface is quite nice.

I print on anything from RC glossy to FB matte. (because I hand color) Placed behind a mat and glass (of a frame), the difference in texture and tonality is very hard to see. I know which one is which because I printed them, but if I didn't, I'd have to take a very close look to determine them apart.

Currently, RC Pearl is my favorite for prints I don't intend to hand color.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use both types of paper. I like RC glossy for many things. I like Ilford's MG WT RC as a favorite RC paper, but also use Arista/Foma for quick contact sheets, etc... It's nice to have fast fixing and washing and drying. For fiber, it's about the surface and material. Fomatone MG & Ilford Art300 are my fiber choices, it's all different and which product to use depends on the subject. Something mechanical and intricate detail doesn't belong on Ilford art300 which is more course and less detailed than a traditional silver paper. People and pictorialist things look great on art300. If I have something with heavy duty blacks and big shadow detail, FB might be better than RC for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FB is great, but for ease of use I perfer RC.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    I hate RC glossy with a passion. There's that wrong Plastic feel. Ugh!!
    Semi-matte is quite ok.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For me, RC is to digital as FB is to film. I use RC mostly for contacts and random prints but print everything else on fiber. Fiber feels substantial to me, is generally more responsive to process, and I prefer the look of FB gloss.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In a photo course the (brutally honest) teacher called RC "real crap", and I tend to agree after printing many hundred sheets of both.
    RC is for contact sheets and quickie prints. Once I get things happy on RC with the enlarger, I change to Fiber for the real keepers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any additional opinions? I'm not sure I want to get into FB paper, but how do RC papers handle toning?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
    Any additional opinions? I'm not sure I want to get into FB paper, but how do RC papers handle toning?
    Quite well - many of my postcard exchange photos (all RC) have been toned.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post

I'm sure there are plenty more opinions to go around but what is your goal? At the end, the one that needs to satisfy is you, or your clients - not everybody on the forum.

Ilford MGIV FB and RC does not tone very well. The color won't shift that much and when it does, it wasn't very pleasant (to me). FB WT (Warm Tone) papers do tone well, and I like them but they are kind of costly. I have not tried RC WT.

Kodak no longer makes paper and hasn't done so for years.... One of the surprising gem is Adorama's house brand paper. I was told it was made in EU countries but not by Ilford. I have some here. They actually tone well. Because of the price point, I use these a lot to play around and experiment.

My standard is Ilford MGIV RC glossy, pearl, FB glossy and matte. (I hand color) If I intend to tone deeply and especially in sepia or brown, I use Warm Tone (WT).

I don't particularly like the RC glossy but I use them for quick prints and contact sheets.

I use RC pearl surface quite a bit. It's surface quality is similar to FB glossy. It's hard to tell them apart behind glass.

If I am making something special, I use FB glossy - which dries like RC pearl in terms of texture.

I also use FB matte because I hand color - but I guess this is more of a special purpose type thing.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Ilford MGIV FB and RC does not tone very well. The color won't shift that much and when it does, it wasn't very pleasant (to me). FB WT (Warm Tone) papers do tone well, and I like them but they are kind of costly. I have not tried RC WT.
    I'd just like to add that Ilford MGIV papers will not *direct* tone in Se that well, unless used at 1+10 for 3-5 minutes (heading towards magenta). Use any bleach+toner and even a strong polysulfide brown toner and it *will* tone.

All of this is of course related to chloride/bromide ratios.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin