Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,439   Online: 1234

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks much, Matt. How do you proceed with toning? Dev > Stop > Fix > Wash > Hypo Clear > Tone > Wash again? I suspect times are much shorter for RC papers? Maybe longer for toning because of the polymer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tony:

There is need to use Hypo Clear with RC.

Almost all of my toning has been done with RC, and I tend to vary dilutions, so I cannot comment on relative times.

As stated above, the effect of Se toning on the neutral tone MGIV is quite subtle, but the effect on warm tone and cool tone variants is more obvious.

I tend to do a fair bit of split toning - bleach/redevelop sepia plus Se - so there are a fair number of intermediate rinses/washes. I need to be careful of the corners.

And lately I've been finishing with some time in hardening fixer plus a re-wash - only because that is the easiest way for me to get some post-toning hardener onto the prints.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you use 2-step fixing you do *not* need to wash before selenium toning. In fact, if you do have issues going from fixer to selenium, then your print is not entirely fixed.

However, other toners, you do need to wash.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    both rc and fb papers are well made these days
    you can only really tell which one will work for you
    after trying whatever you want to try ...

rc paper sometimes has a sharp corner and can scratch
    other prints, but other than that, a breeze to use less wash time
    and it can be spooled much easier and used in roll film cameras ..

good luck !
    john
    Last edited by jnanian; 03-18-2012 at 08:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    I'd just like to add that Ilford MGIV papers will not *direct* tone in Se that well, unless used at 1+10 for 3-5 minutes (heading towards magenta). Use any bleach+toner and even a strong polysulfide brown toner and it *will* tone.

All of this is of course related to chloride/bromide ratios.
    What bleach do your recommend for sepia toning of RC papers? Is there a particular product from B&H Photo (where I'm assembling my purchase list)? And where can I read up about chloride/bromide ratios?

Also, do any of the toners (e.g., copper, sepia) work with RC papers?
    Last edited by Tony-S; 03-18-2012 at 11:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I find both warmtone RC and MGIV RC tone very well. I think the RC MGIV tones better than its FB counterpart. All are nice papers, can't go wrong either way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Kodak Sepia II toner on the RC papers, which makes up into two solutions - bleach and toner. I use the bleach component for all bleaching purposes.

I am currently using Berg Selenium toner. In the past, I've used the Kodak version of Selenium toner with success. The next to try is the Ilford Selenium toner that is on the shelf downstairs in my storage area .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I am currently using Berg Selenium toner.
    How is that working?

Shooter
    35mm
    If you want to combine the convenience of RC with the weight of FB you can buy Ilford RC Portfolio. Just be prepared to pay a little extra for the weight.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    If you want to combine the convenience of RC with the weight of FB you can buy Ilford RC Portfolio. Just be prepared to pay a little extra for the weight.

pentaxuser
    I have been tempted to try this. How is it in 11x14? My problem with RC has always been how cheesy it feels in larger sizes. I love 5x7 and 8x10, but above that, not.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin