Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,023   Online: 887

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Old Noob Questions About RC vs FB Paper

I started developing and printing B&W some 30 years ago, and RC paper then was pretty crap. The paper of choice for quality work was always FB.

Has this changed? Can RC paper now compete in richness and general "pop" with RC paper? And whose brand would you recommend - Ilford, Adox, Kodak .. .

Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG. You will find the site has a wealth of information if you use the search function. This subject has been beat to death, numerous times, so I don't think anything substantive or revealing will all of a sudden come up. As far as papers are concerned use whatever you can get and can afford. Learn how to get the most out of it. By doing so you will be leaps and bounds ahead of he magic bullet chasers.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    RC papers are good but most p[eople still prefer the qualities of FB papers. I don't know what RC papers you used 30 years ago but the Ilford and Kentmere papers back then were excellent.

As for brand of FB papers Ilford, Foma, Adox are all excellent it's finding a paper tha suits you. Kodak exoted the market quite a few years ago.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Of the ones I've tried side by side I don't see any significant image difference. What i mean by that is that everything I need to do can be done quite nicely on either.

Given that and the ease of using RC instead of fiber, RC is my choice
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    RC papers have changed a lot. They now give excellent quality prints. Some people prefer the surface and weight of FB papers, however. RC has the advantage of staying more flat and washing faster. Both mount well. RC emulsions are generally the same as their FB counterparts. There were once some length of life issues with RC, especially in closed frames, but these were corrected several years ago, at least by most manufacturers. Life should be reasonably equivalent for RC and FB.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Check out a thread I started a few years ago. Good stuff here... http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/5...-rc-paper.html

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I will say this: RC glossy is generally too glossy and can exhibit a kind of strange silvering pattern when examined under direct light. Other than that it's about feel and process. FB papers are generally more responsive and flexible process wise. They're more enjoyable to work with but take more time.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    These days there is very litle to chose between RC and FB, I personally prefer to print on RC paper, it has the advantage of being easier and quicker to both wash and dry, drys flat, and as far as U can see, with prints side by side on RC and FB, I struggle to tell the difference by looking.
    Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Gould View Post
    These days there is very litle to chose between RC and FB, I personally prefer to print on RC paper, it has the advantage of being easier and quicker to both wash and dry, drys flat, and as far as U can see, with prints side by side on RC and FB, I struggle to tell the difference by looking.
    Same here.

Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A quick addition to the observation by clayne. Occasionally, I've found that RC glossy seems to benefit from a heated dry. Those dedicated quartz RC dryers do a great job but I have found that a careful application of a hair dryer can often remove what Ctein refers to as "veiling" (see Post Exposure). Care is necessary as too much heat will melt the plastic.

Neal Wydra

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin