Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,902   Posts: 1,555,827   Online: 767

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're scanning to post online, what is the difference between scanning a print at say 300dpi and resizing, versus simply scanning the print at 72dpi? Also, is screen resolution actually 72dpi, or is it 96dpi?

This is an interesting thread, as I've posted about this very question in the gallery on several occasions. My scans look so bad I've actually recently deleted all my gallery images and stopped posting images altogether. I don't even own a computer, so I scan prints at my parents' house and they have a bottom end Epson and no photoshop or anything, just the software that came with the scanner. I have actually seen a small number of print scans in the gallery that looked quite good, but it's only a handful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Michael - the answer to your question can be a long one, and probably mostly off topic for this forum. I'll try to be brief.
    Higher res scan = better image, even if Pshop re-resolves to lower PPI for web (Pshop might do a better job than the Epson SW). Then, later, when you want to submit to another show, gallery, etc, you can re-resolve again (without rescanning) to their requirements, if greater than APUG's.
    I've never been on the DPUG site, but you can probably find out more there.
    With more and more exhibitions, competitions, etc requiring digital submittals, it's becoming harder and harder to avoid at least a basic understanding of this. Like many, I have mixed feelings about this.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got 2 cents to add.

I don't scan negs for the APUG gallery. I scan 8x10 prints. My scanner is the Epson 4990.

The preview scan is cropped to the image with no border. My thought is the border will add non image white to the overall balance. I remove Epsons' presets and scan at 560 dpi.

In my Photoshop Elements (Not real Photoshop) I change the mode to Gray-scale.

I use the auto contrast function which 99 out of 100 times serves me fine.

I re size the dimension to 8 inch hi and let the width fall where it may.

Then I begin a reducing process suggested by JD Callow a few years ago:

Unsharp masking: At the 560 I set % at 50, Pix at 8, Threshold 5.
    Adjust dpi to 1/2: At 380 I set % at 25, Pix at 4, Threshold 10.
    Adjust dpi to 1/2: At 190 I set % at 12, Pix at 2, Threshold 20.
    Adjust dpi to 1/2: At 95 I set % at 6, Pix at 1, Threshold 40.

With each adjustment you may wish to change you view to Screen Size.

Go back to the Re-size box and set the Vertical dpi to 600.

Save for Web and upload.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well I'm totally lost now. I don't understand what anyone's talking about. But it's increasingly obvious why my print scans stink. And I don't have the equipment, nor the time to screw around with all this either. I think I'll just stay out of the gallery as far as my own work goes.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use vuescan, scan on v700 at 2400dpi, use the post-scan reduction factor to bring the size around the 100mb territory and then adjust it back to reality in lightroom. I use the raw+dng output setting of vuescan.

Always scan in color and never let the scanning software do anything with curves or sharpening. Treat it like developing a neg - don't let the scanning software make it "look good."
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Well I'm totally lost now.
    Michael,

The common thread in all these replies (including mine) is to NOT let the scanner software auto-expose your prints. Set the range (the white point and the black point) either to extremes or wider than what the histogram shows then scan. Then, load the image into some type of photo editing software to adjust the image to taste.

Give it a try. You can get pretty reasonable results.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Michael - some of these comments sound more difficult to understand when unaccompanied by context and jargon familiarity. PM coming.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you all for the replies. I apologize for not getting back to this sooner, I have been mostly away from the computer the last few days. I will give all of these a try next time I scan a print. APUG community comes through again!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go into settings and turn the AUTO EXPOSURE further down or at minimum also will help.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin