Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,370   Online: 1043

Shooter
    Medium Format

using SpotPen - anyone?

I just bought the set of 10 and have been trying them out on a few FB prints. I have a couple of questions:

What is the drying time of these? I need to re-apply some spots so that they work in cumulative effect, it seems. Or do I? Am I doing something wrong?

And is there a way to lift off mistakes?

tia

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have a set of spotpens, but I don't claim to be an expert of them, I have only used them on RC paper. I think if your spots are are dark enough that you think you need to accumulate them, then you probably need to move up a zone instead. And I just lick my finger a little and wipe if I don't like how something is working. Dunno if that's a good idea, but it has worked for me...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oriecat
    . . . I just lick my finger a little and wipe if I don't like how something is working. Dunno if that's a good idea, but it has worked for me...
    I think that depends on whether one has archival (acid-free) spit.

Distilled water on a soft cloth or swab might be better.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've got a set and they're great! I find they dry almost instantly with FB paper so it's best to start with a lighter tone than you think you'll need and go darker if necessary. I haven't yet found a way of removing them although they can be made a little lighter if water is applied immediately. They are so much less hassle than traditional spotting using a brush although they are a LOT more expensive!

Rob

spot pens

I use spotpens and start with a lighter shade than I want to finish with and build up in layers.
    on FB papers I leave about 2 mins between applications, they do not look to good on RC glossy papers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If anyone is interested in a warmtone set of spottone pens I have a never used set that I'll sell for 50% off the B&H price with free shipping! (note: you'll have to look up the current price because I have no idea, but this post reminded me of them sitting unused next to all matcutter.)
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When you say does not look so good on RC glossy prints, do you mean it makes a "lump" that rises above the laminate? I have had little luck trying to get the pens to work on any RC paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used the pens on some RC glossy prints, and it worked nicely. But you do have to be "patient" with it. The RC paper that I generally use is Oriental, and that's the only RC paper that I've tried the pens on. I use lighter shades and then build up.
    -Grant

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've used it on RC and I think it usually just needs to dry overnight or so and then you can't see the spot at all. I too wondered about the 'lump' when I first tried it, but when I checked it again later it was gone.

spot pens

Quote Originally Posted by circeo
    When you say does not look so good on RC glossy prints, do you mean it makes a "lump" that rises above the laminate? I have had little luck trying to get the pens to work on any RC paper.
    that is exactly what I mean, i have not kept them long enough to dry out. I will try again and leave the print to dry, it looks as if I have been scrapping a lot of work for nothing

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin