Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,405   Online: 701

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schrager View Post
    the best timer I have used is the zone VI...with the footpedal; they count up not down; do not use the probe anymore...it's not necessary....
    why don't people who make darkroom products get it?
    Best, Peter
    I second the Zone VI Compensating Development timer. Best damn gizmo ever invented for darkroom work.
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    Tom, if I wanted to go to Europe I could easily buy a converter here in the US that would enable me to plug my 120V items into your 220V mains. - David Lyga
    Gralab timers have synchronous motors. They "lock" to the line frequency.

You can not use a Gralab timer designed for use in the US in Europe or vice versa. In the US, the line frequency is 60 Hz. In Europe, it is 50 Hz. Even if you convert the voltage and current so that the motor will run, it will not give accurate time.

You need to get a timer designed for the country you want to use it in unless you want to go through the expensive and often difficult process of frequency conversion.

http://www.gralab.com/products/details.asp?ID=11
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Darkroom people do "get it"... Curt Palm has made a software only Zone VI compensating timer.

No survey of tray film developing timers is complete without mentioning CompnTemp.

Functionally the same as the hard-to-find Zone VI compensating timer. As developer temperature fluctuates the timer compensates by counting down faster or slower as needed.

If you have an old laptop, and if you agree with Peter that the probe isn't necessary, well it can be quite reasonably priced. You can give it a try as soon as you finish reading this post - think free demo.

I use it in the dark and listen for the chimes. I set the "print" timer to chime 5 times at the end of developing because I always zone out and forget how many minutes it's been.

If you get hooked you can pick up the rest one piece at a time as budget permits. USB Probe, full version software, Probe Clamp, Foot Pedal...

http://www.curtpalm.com

p.s. I am not affiliated with Curt Palm Photography who is a current advertiser here on APUG.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am surprised that the Gralab did not make an export model, however, while the frequency would change the time, it may not be off my much. If I could have only one timer in the darkroom, it would be the Gralab.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use ordinary battery powered kitchen timers when tray developing film. There is no illuminated display, but that seems to be no problem. One could always use neon or LED lamps to illuminate the display if absolutely necessary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Gralab 900 process timer. It has eight memories, each independently programmable.

You set the times for each process step in a separate memory. It sequences automatically from
    one step to the next as you work. It emits beeps and tone sequences to tell you when the end
    of each cycle is near, so you can pour out the old chemistry and pour in the new.

Since this is a microprocessor-based system, it derives its timing from an internal oscillator
    rather than from the power line. Timing accuracy is 0.015% and repeatability is 0.010%.

You can start it using a foot pedal, so the entire operation is hands-free.

The display has red LEDs that can be turned off for use with film.

It was available in a 220-volt 50-Hz version.

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 02-24-2012 at 01:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Google "talking timer" great in the dark.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is an I-phone app from digital truth that is a count down timer with red and green options for paper, and film as well as a normal display timer. The app is customizable for most films shown on the massive development chart. Also works well on my I-Pad.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I bought a $10 Casio watch that has a repeating audio timer built in. I set it for one minute and it sounds each minute until I turn it off. If I set a separate kitchen timer for the full development time I'm ready to go. Or if I am paying attention I can just count the minutes audibly.

Jonathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    I am surprised that the Gralab did not make an export model, however, while the frequency would change the time, it may not be off my much. If I could have only one timer in the darkroom, it would be the Gralab.
    Gralab does make an export model for 220v/50Hz.
    It is listed in the link I posted above.

A 60Hz model used on 50Hz mains would be 10 seconds slow out of every minute.

50÷60=.8333
    60 sec/min * .8333 = 49.998 (Round to 50)
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin