Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,994   Online: 842

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    In future try not to lock the cat inside your drying cabinet. They can cause havoc when confined in a small space.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hang my negatives in the shower so that they can dry. I also keep the shower door closed so the kitty is unable to reach them. She LOVES things that are hanging and will swing when struck by a little paw.

m
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    digital ice won't work with B&W film or kodachrome.
    You're right, I guess I read through the original post a little too quickly.

Shooter
    35mm
    Here is the link to the negatives.

This link didn't work, try the one lower down

As for ditching the cats, I doubt SWMBO would allow that. Though the shower is a good idea, I had been hanging them in the bathroom, next to the shower, but in the shower would protect them better. Thanks! That will prevent future problems.

The scan was done on a HP scanjet 4050 with (demo version) Vuescan. I intend to get a license on payday next week, so please be understanding of the watermarks. The software that came with the scanner is horrible.
    Last edited by madgardener; 02-25-2012 at 11:25 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by madgardener View Post
    Here is the link to the negatives.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...85211553?hl=en

As for ditching the cats, I doubt SWMBO would allow that. Though the shower is a good idea, I had been hanging them in the bathroom, next to the shower, but in the shower would protect them better. Thanks! That will prevent future problems.

The scan was done on a HP scanjet 4050 with (demo version) Vuescan. I intend to get a license on payday next week, so please be understanding of the watermarks. The software that came with the scanner is horrible.
    i wish i could see your film, but i don't have a google account and it requires a password/user name to view your images.

i have digitally remastered totally trashed scratched bent up and destroyed tintypes and prints from years ago, it can be done with PS but it will take
    a long time to get it right, you would have to do huge scans so your retouching isn't evident, low res manipulation looks like .. low res manipulation ..
    i wouldn't bother with it ... then again, it is a good skill to have and if you can do these things the analog way
    it is much easier to do them using a computer ...

if your negatives are totally scratched up, i would enlarge them using a cold light head ( or put diffusion glass between your condensers and negative )
    rub the back of your ear and get a little oil on your finger and swirl it around on your negative on the scratches ( this will diffuse the light hitting the film )
    then enlarge them to the size you want them to be .. and make a print, and then a contact print off of that, so you have a large paper negative to work with.
    as keith suggested it isn't all that hard to retouch a paper negative with pencil ..
    get water colors or retouching fluid, or use a pencil on the back of the print and then make another contact print from that.
    get some of the cellophane that covers boxes of tea and when you make your positive print, boost the contrast a little bit with pc filters
    and pass the cellophane between the lens and paper .. not alot, it will really diffuse your print ...

if the positive print you made doesn't look the way you want it to look retouch it a little more.

you could always do something "artsy" with the film. get some gause, or hose and enlarge through it.
    or take fine grit sand paper and selectively scratch up the rest of your film or print through fluid, or take a sheet of film ( a different, clear piece )
    pass it over a burning candle to get soot on it ( cigarette/cigar smoke works best but who smokes these days ? ),
    and make a hole through the film with a match head and make a print through that ...

years ago i used to do commercialprinting for a portrait photographer. i wasn't too swift and dropped a 5x7 negative on the darkroom floor ( concrete + dirty )
    to make matters worse it was a full portrait of the state's governor that i was supposed to make 250 5x7 glossy prints for his re-election campaign .
    the ear-oil trick worked pretty well ... he was re-elected and i think he went to jail .. luckily my prints had nothing to do with it.

good luck !
    john

Shooter
    35mm
    Grrrrr. That's been happening a lot lately. Try this link and see what it can do.

Try this link: https://picasaweb.google.com/1149043...eat=directlink

Shooter
    35mm RF
    My cat is true animal (at night he sometimes brings back a mose from the garden and he eats it on my bed while I'm asleep...)
    but fortunately he never found drying negs interesting... pfew!

I'd go the digital route to restore your wounded films.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also, when I say "this has happened to me" I was referring to actual cats pulling my drying film down and playing with it on carpet for a few hours. After rewashing, dust was still embedded in the gelatin and I would not save such shots again unless they were really valuable.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you SURE those are scratches? Almost all the marks are rendered WHITE and either lint or dust like. You've digitally inverted the image correct? True scratches on the emulsion side will remove the coating which will cause it to let the light go through. That will render BLACK when printed or inverted. Is it possible that you could re-soak this film, rewash this film, and only if absolutely necessary, GENTLY rub it with your bare fingers, re-photo-flow it, then dry?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks like much of it is dust, try rinsing very well (maybe washing it with some washing aid?) and hang up again.
    Some dust may be dried into the emulsion though, so they may be stuck in there.

As for removing, i always use the patch/healing tool in Photoshop, (gimp equivalent tutorial here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeNstnmXRgw ) , it's a much better tool than clone, because it samples from nearby areas and blends better.

Too bad you are not using Photoshop, I made an action for removing large amounts of dust when I used contaminated fixer once, was just too much crap on the negatives to sit and do manual removal, worked pretty well.
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin