Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,210   Online: 789

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Damaged Negatives

I was developing some Black and White film and when hanging it to dry, one of my cats decided that it would make a good toy and ripped 2 rolls down. Being the emulsion was still very wet, the negatives were severely scratched. Is there a way to repair 35mm negatives (Legacy Pro 400 film) or possibly can I get some tips on how to fix them digitally on Gimp? I can't afford Photo Shop. I tried using my scanner and it did very little to take out the scratched (HP scanjet G4050 with Vuescan). Help??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very fine scratches can sometimes be hidden by wet-mounting the negative when printing. This is fairly messy and I've never tried it myself but apparently it can work. But in your case it sounds like major damage in which case I'd say the negatives are ruined for analog purposes. Perhaps you could work some serious digital magic on them but that's totally beyond my area of knowledge.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Its possible that a restoration of a print and a new negative could be made. It would be very expensive however, you could possibly do some of the work yourself. You would start by making a large enlargement, say 16x20, and have find a local artist to retouch the photo, then make a new copy negative, then could make good prints.

I remember one that I worked on that the photo was both torn in half right across a persons face and had water damage from a flooded basement. When the process was complete, you could not tell anything ever happened. I did the photography, my wife, who is a restoration artist, did the painting.

Try posting a photo of the damage, others may have ideas. Good Luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Maybe if you use a scanner with digital ICE?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    digital ice won't work with B&W film or kodachrome. Wetting them for the enlarger or scanner will fill in the scratches for a better but not great print or scan. Wet it with something that won't dry immediately or run; mineral oil or wire lube and clean it off afterwards with alcohol or soapy water.

The bandaid tool works pretty good in gimp. If that can't do it, the clone tool can. Either benefits from a wider nozzle and some experimenting with opacity.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Had this happen before. It's usually the sheer amount of embedded dust that makes things infeasible. Ditch the negs and learn from it.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use photoshop for most of my touch ups. In gimp, there should be a similar tool called 'clone'. It should be in the shape of a stamp. Use that.

1. Hold down either alt or ctrl. In photoshop, its alt. Click on an area you wish to sample.
    2. Release alt/ctrl, clone the area with the scratches.

that's the short of it. Hope it helps. Google gimp clone tool, there should be some tutorials for that tool.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    Aaaaaaarrrrrrggggggghghghhhhhhhhh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Many things you can do. You can contact print to film, then enlarge to paper negs and touch those up on the backside in a perfectly analogue way. You can scan, fix problems, and have LVTs made, if some of the negs are really precious. Etc.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Had this happen before. It's usually the sheer amount of embedded dust that makes things infeasible. Ditch the negs and learn from it.
    Shouldn't that be ditch the cat and negs and learn from it Only kidding

pentaxuser

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin