Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,705   Posts: 1,548,474   Online: 861

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    uh, take a look at fuji acros 100 -- $2.69 a roll at Adorama, it is grainless, no kidding, making enlargments from 120 I use a focusing magnifier and have to use a detail on the image, I can't find grain to focus on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JLP View Post
    Where do you buy Neopan SS in 120?

Plus-X and 777 are made for each.
    LOL! Back to trying FP-4...
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    uh, take a look at fuji acros 100 -- $2.69 a roll at Adorama, it is grainless, no kidding, making enlargments from 120 I use a focusing magnifier and have to use a detail on the image, I can't find grain to focus on.
    Acros is nice film but is nothing like Plus-X.

Shooter
    35mm
    Plus-x is my fetish film simply because I started with it, 20 years ago. Plus-x, APX100, HP5 and TMax3200 are my absolute favorites.

I'm so glad to have shot my latest Cuba series on Plus-X. Couldn't imagine using a different film.

As for a substitute? I'd lean more towards Fomapan100 for the look. FP4 would be very easy to get accustomed to but the look is not the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crabtree View Post
    Acros is nice film but is nothing like Plus-X.
    have to admit i never shot plus x in 120 -- shooting a lot of it in 35 right now in the Arista rebadged stuff, but have pretty much only used Acros in the Rollei for the last 5 years or so -- amazing stuff.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Acros is a t-grain style film. Plus-X is not. Different grain, tone, curves. Different beasts.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    VERY different beasts. Acros is also not quite panchromatic, or as panchromatic, or something. It has a different look, very worthwhile on its own but sure not Plus-X.

I like FP4+. I got into medium format after Plus-X was already gone, but I've shot a lot of it over the years in 35mm. I'd like to have used it in 120, but alas not. The prices on eBay for 120 Plus-X of reliable vintage always go to levels I'm not going to pay. FP4+ is a very nice film. Not the same, but I don't think a photo is going to succeed or fail based on whether it's on Plus-X or FP4+.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    The prices on eBay for 120 Plus-X of reliable vintage always go to levels I'm not going to pay.
    Aren't those prices horrible. No more than a week before the annoucement that PlusX was terminated I bought some some 120 at "normal" prices. I'm happy for myself but wishing I had bought more when I could.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For what it's worth, I am now experimenting with some outdated but carefully stored aerial +sex and it is very nice I paid next to nothing for it (thanks Mark!) and it's superb. Not a lick of fog.

I agree that fp4+ is the film to try; with a bit of experimentation, you can probably get the tones close enough; the grain is just about equal.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Acros is a t-grain style film. Plus-X is not. Different grain, tone, curves. Different beasts.
    Acros is Sigma-grained not T-grain. :-). Similar yes but not quite the same. But yes, makes it quite different than Plus-X though if one tries you can make Acros look less like Tmax and more towards Plus-X if you want, not exact of course.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin