Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,009   Online: 710

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    For what it's worth, I am now experimenting with some outdated but carefully stored aerial +sex and it is very nice I paid next to nothing for it (thanks Mark!) and it's superb. Not a lick of fog.

I agree that fp4+ is the film to try; with a bit of experimentation, you can probably get the tones close enough; the grain is just about equal.
    I'm glad to hear that. I shot some of the aerial PX last spring cut to 8x10 and was amazed that it still seemed perfect. Slow films certainly hold up better with age, but some emulsions just seem more stable than others. Verichrome holds up amazingly well also. I found another unopened can of the PX in the freezer. This one seems to have shipped without the box, so maybe the last I bought from Mr. Photo.

I have a slitter and planned to slit the aerial film for smaller Cirkut sizes, and then use the cutoff to respool 120, but I just can't build any confidence that I can make the slitter function well enough to trust using it in the dark. I didn't want to risk trashing perfectly good film.

It is a shame to see 120 becoming such an issue, but TX is amazing stuff and still available. I know it is a different speed, but that is what I personally would use to replace PX (if I didn't have a stockpile of Verichrome Pan). The modern Tri-X is amazingly fine grain, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Aren't those prices horrible. No more than a week before the annoucement that PlusX was terminated I bought some some 120 at "normal" prices. I'm happy for myself but wishing I had bought more when I could.
    Yeah, it's good, but it's not THAT good. I'm actually quite happy with FP4+, so my TLR bag has FP4+ and Tri-X. If I expect dim light I'll have a roll or two of Delta 3200, and if I expect sunny outdoor light maybe, sometimes, a roll of Pan F. Add a couple of rolls of Portra 400 and maybe one of Portra 800 and I feel like I'm set for whatever I find.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Acros is Sigma-grained not T-grain. :-). Similar yes but not quite the same. But yes, makes it quite different than Plus-X though if one tries you can make Acros look less like Tmax and more towards Plus-X if you want, not exact of course.
    Yea I realize the differences but didn't want to get into it. That's why I said "t-grain style". Sigma and T-grain are much more similar than they are different with the former being somewhat more of a hybrid between traditional and t-grain. But the point is that it's not a traditional film and the curves are significantly different.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know if this is an option. But maybe you could try finding a camera shop that has some left? I've not looked for 120. But I know that there is a local shop out here that has quite a bit of 135 still. Maybe there is a place somewhere that still has 120.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Pellegrini View Post
    I am all out of Plus-X 120 and just found out that it has been discontinued. Any thoughts as to what most closely matches it? I have been developing it in 777 and would like to keep the same look.
    Try Shanghai GP3. One of my favourites, also so inexpensive, you have nothing to lose for trying it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athiril View Post
    Try Shanghai GP3. One of my favourites, also so inexpensive, you have nothing to lose for trying it.
    GP3 is beautiful stuff though it curls like the dickens, also a bit of deformities from time to time in the emulsion. My wife is from China and my inlaws bring me GP3 when the visit. In Beijing we used to get it there for 60 cents USD a roll. Still got a hundred or so rolls in the freezer. Unfortunately last time there we were told what stock is in the stores is all that is left as its been discontinued as well. :-(

Great stuff with wonderful potential:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38698047@N00/5508112717

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38698047@N00/5277891578

-----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I haven't found the love for GP3, in fact I have 11-rolls I'd be happy to trade away for 5-rolls of FP4 or TX or Pan F or HP5 or Delta 100 or Delta 400 or Acros or ...
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StorminMatt View Post
    I don't know if this is an option. But maybe you could try finding a camera shop that has some left? I've not looked for 120. But I know that there is a local shop out here that has quite a bit of 135 still. Maybe there is a place somewhere that still has 120.
    In my area there is film available at very few of my neighborhood camera stores, but the one that does have film still has plenty of PX 135, but none in 120.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It was discontinued in 120 long before it was in 35mm, thus the latter is still available from various places and the former is not.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    GP3 is beautiful stuff though it curls like the dickens, also a bit of deformities from time to time in the emulsion. My wife is from China and my inlaws bring me GP3 when the visit. In Beijing we used to get it there for 60 cents USD a roll. Still got a hundred or so rolls in the freezer. Unfortunately last time there we were told what stock is in the stores is all that is left as its been discontinued as well. :-(

Great stuff with wonderful potential:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38698047@N00/5508112717

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38698047@N00/5277891578

In China, most places (for general goods) don't do continuous production and have on-hand stock, they seem to start up production when given a demand for more product to move by a distributor.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin