Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,073   Posts: 1,611,965   Online: 1227

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Rodinal & DDX

Marc!
    Marc Morel
    President, Melbourne Silver Mine Inc.
    ------------
    http://mrmarcmorel.wordpress.com/
    http://silvermine.org.au

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rodinal although I don't think of it as a 'general purpose developer'.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Very ancient, very replenished D76d, made up on the 3rd May 1985 and kept going ever since - But kept going carefully with test patches at zone VIII and XI to make sure everything is going well every week or so

I use the alternative replenishment method whereby a fair bit of fresh D76d is used with the D76d replenisher - 70ml of replenisher to 80 inches square each (a sheet of 10x8", 4/5x4 or 1/120 or 1/36-35mm) of mix instead of just the 28ml of D76dR - (See "76 Years of D76, Ryuji Suzuki, Silvergrain.org)

I use a narrow measuring cylinder with a piece of tape glued to it with the number of films to be replenished marked up the tape, for three sheets I top up the the third line and so on

Recently I bought a step wedge via APUG to calibrate a densitometer I had been given - This gives me much greater information on the state of the developer, a crucial thing when using old replenished dev' - Replenished dev' has to do a lot of work it to keep it young and healthy, like all us
    Last edited by John Austin; 02-25-2012 at 04:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My go to developer in the past has been Ilford LC29 but after using Caffenol CL with a semi-stand process that will be my first choice for anything going forward other than if I need something in a hurry, as the 65 minute dev time is the only downside so far (apart from the smell).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pyrocat HD is all I use these days, so reliable and easy to use and the negative print so easily.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    DD-X or WD2D+

Started with D-76, moved to XTol replenished. I didn't see a big difference in negative quality between these two, both were just fine, the ease of replenishment was the biggie for me. Truly, replenished systems are really sweet to use.

I switched to DD-X because my processing volume had changed and to be honest just wanted to try something different. DD-X truly seems to be a bit of a step up in quality from the above, this is highly subjective but it seems to give me negatives that print the way I like easier.

The WD2D+ has been a big surprise. I tried it on a whim here lately just to see why some people like Pyro developers so much. The prints are beautiful so far and films that I found finicky before (in reliably getting the planned contrast from development), like Delta 100, have at least so far been automatic for me in WD2D+ using the numbers right off the instruction sheet.

The finickyness of Delta 100, and the very few roll of TMax 100 that I've tried, has been true for me with D-76, XTol, and DD-X.

WD2D+ does take just a little extra work, a pre-wet step plus measuring and mixing for every run. It requires use within 3-minutes so there's no mixing enough for the day, you have to mix as you go for each tank or tray, and you should use protective gloves.

Even with the extra work I can see the distinct possibility of WD2D+ becoming my general purpose developer if it remains as automatic and reliable as it has been so far. Reliably good results without a lot of thought is really what I want from a general purpose developer.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Pyrocat HD is all I use these days, so reliable and easy to use and the negative print so easily.

Ian

You beat me to it with fewer words to say the same thing.

I'd almost bet that whatever Pyro I had started with would have shown me these advantages.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I must admit I am a diehard Diafine user.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    R09 one shot

Develop Pan F+ 50 in it and you'll see why
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    replenished Xtol

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin