Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,512   Online: 1017

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forte Polygrade

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Forte

Hello to you- I use Forte almost exclusively. If you want to make it SING then I advise a developer like Ansco 130 or similar Glycin incorperated. The other thing about this paper is that it lets you do a Pott. Dichromate bleach very easily. If you haven't tried it -almost like painting with the light via a Brush. Tones beautiful in selenium just do not overdo it-use a dilute solution and watch the time! This is probably THE LAST of the old time papers. The Warmtone Plus is no slouch either. Good luck
    Regards, Peter Schrager

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does the Paper developer make a big difference ? I use Neutol and I have not noticed what´s in it. Maybe I should just take it easy and not try alot of things within this first year gathering experience. Are there any who don´t like Forte Polygrade :-)
    Søren

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I've just started using Forte Polygrade RC as a change to Ilford/Kentmere, and I love it. The tone ranges from cold blue/blacks when used with a neutral developer like Ilford MG, but goes quite warm when used with a warmtone developer like Neutol WA. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it's a shame that I've discovered it now that there's a question mark over Forte's future.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

forte

Soeren-Forte definately makes a difference in what you use to develop it. Fine Arts Photo Supply makes a GLYCIN developer when combined with Forte will knock your socks off! I use it 1:2 with Forte. Anthony's #585-865-4793 or google it on the web. Believe me you are NOT going to realize the true blacks that this paper is capable of with other developers and I've tried quite a few.
    Glycin with selenium give these prints give a 3 dimensional look. It has to be seen to be believed. That's why I state that this is an OLD WORLD type of paper.One has to have faith that Forte will be here. It is certainly not a function of the products that they make. I'll keep buying this stuff until the last box is gone. Just as an aside this is the paper that Bruce Barnbaum has been printing on for the last upteen years.
    Regards Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Guys
    I realy look forward to use that paper. Peter I´ll see if I can get some of that glysin developer even if I´ll rather keep my socks on in the darkroom:-)
    Regard Søren

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Forte

Soeren-And gee I tought that everyone here at APUG prints naked in the darkromm.
    Best Peter

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Søren,

I have too much glycin for my own use - the developers use only a little, and last forever. I could send you a dry kit for Ansco 130 if you'd like?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Forte

Ole-you had better let Soeren know to get the Glycin to dissolve properly in the solution. That's why I buy it. I understand Glycin is a pain in the###
    Peter

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peters
    I understand Glycin is a pain in the###
    I agree - it can be difficult to dissolve. Maybe I should make a concentrate?

Since I'm lazy, I use a magnetic stirrer. I just turn it on, dump the glycin in, and go do something else for a while. Glycin is still the most troublesome of all chemicals to get into solution. But it's worth it - the results are spectacular!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Sounds like I should be trying Ansco 130 then. Are you talking about using it with Forte RC or FB or both.

Can anyone tell me where in the UK you can buy raw chemicals for this, namely;

Metol
    Sodium Sulfite (Anhydrous)
    Hydroquinone
    Sodium Carbonate (Monohydrate)
    Potassium Bromide
    Glycin

or if there are any commercially available developer alternatives?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin