Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,469   Posts: 1,570,872   Online: 1104

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Using Ansels water

Read somewhere this week that 'all the water that ever was is still here" (or words to that effect).
    So developing some prints tonight i realized some of this water could have been thru Ansel's trays.
    Do you think this will make my prints better?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It didn't always help Ansel, I've seen some quite poor prints exhibited

There was a touring exhibition 3 or 4 years ago of prints from his daughters collection and some images were quite different in terms the tonality in the prints, his printing style evolved and changed over the years.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like "magic bullet" time. The only thing that helps anyones printing is practice, perserverance, and patience. Expose yourself to as many of the old masters, and new masters, and study what made them special. We don't have access to many of the materials they old timers used, but I believe the modern items we do have should enable us to outshine many of them. It's up to you to push yourself to be better and never be satisfied with yourself.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the same is true about silver too. Perhaps the magic is in using AAs silver. First we need to get it out of the prints and back into circulation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ezwriter View Post
    ... tonight i realized some of this water could have been thru Ansel's trays.
    First you must separate the water that passed through his trays from the water that passed through his kidneys. Use only the tray water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I remember in third grade debating with my mates about wether we ever drank any of George Washington's pee. With so much water on this planet, I kinda doubt it. Also the Ansel Adams fixer water/wash water too.

Shooter
    Large Format
    You have breathed one of the same oxygen molecules that passed through Jesus's lungs.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ezwriter View Post
    Read somewhere this week that 'all the water that ever was is still here" (or words to that effect).
    So developing some prints tonight i realized some of this water could have been thru Ansel's trays.
    Yes well unfortunately St. Ansel was in a small minority and the same water has been used to process a lot of crap too. Plus you have to bear in mind that the air you breathe was once in the lungs of Stalin and Hitler and other deplorable characters... not just Jesus

But you might be on to a real commercial opportunity! Go to Yosemite and bottle some water and sell it as St. Ansel's water. Somebody will buy it!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You might pick up a bottle of holy water from the Carmel Mission gift shop. Good chance it comes from the same source Ansel Adams used. You could make a ritual of it. Add like Photo-Flo, a few drops at a time, to your final rinse as you make the sign of Las Cruces. Careful not to add too much, don't wash out your originality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I live pretty close to his boyhood home. Times when I've driven past or couple times I deliberately stopped in front of the house I've found my photography for the next week or so improves greatly, particularly the tonality of my prints. It's amazing.
    Last edited by Richard Sintchak (rich815); 02-25-2012 at 02:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin