Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,756   Online: 1043

Shooter
    35mm RF

Diafine advice 400 vs 1250asa

I have about 20 rolls of Tri-X, which I shot in very low light at 400asa, f1.4, 1/30th.

My plan was to develop them in XTOL or DD-X @ 400, but I just mixed up a gallon of Diafine and have been toying with the idea of running the rolls in the later. But here is the crux.

Normally I expose Tri-X at around 1000-1250 for Diafine, but these rolls were shot at 400.

A few years ago i accidentally developed a roll of Tri-X that was shot at 400 in Diafine. The result was a very, very low contrast negative, with the shadows wide open. Not so good for shots taken on a sunny day, but not necessarily a bad thing for pictures taken in next to no light.

Does anyone have any experience shooting Tri-X @ 400 at night and then developing in Diafine?

Can anyone share their thoughts on this?

Thanks

HL
    Last edited by Harry Lime; 02-25-2012 at 02:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

I'd go shoot a test roll under the same conditions and try it.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Obviously.

The last time I checked the purpose of a forum like this was to share experience and information.

Not trying to be a smart-xxx. When I've tried normally-exposed films in Diafine, I get flat images with full shadows. This quality most recently has been exploited for those who want to produce "optimal" negatives for scanning. Not knowing the brightness/contrast range of the situation you're shooting in, it's impossible to say what your results will look like. Hence my advice to test a roll.

Peter Gomena

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin