Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,590   Online: 834

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mixing X-tol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Xtol is good for sure but if you're interested in mixing smaller quantities try HC 110. It's great for TriX, cheap, lasts a very long time- nearly forever, and can be mixed in the amount you need each time.
    Good luck.

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use to mix my Xtol stock solution with de-ionized water ( awailable at gas stations ). Even if it´s a litle expensive in Sweden ( 7 - 8 US$ for one US gallon ) I think it is worth it. I pour it into empty bottles of either heavy duty plastic or glas and with screw-on caps. If you fill the bottles untill they just overflow a bit and then tighten the cap, the oxidizing risk will be minimal. Just rinse and dry the bottle afterwards. After that I add what is needed of stock solution to my dear old 10-litres batch of replenished Xtol everytime I develop. If you do this regularly and speak gently in a mellow voice to the replenished batch, it will last forever.
    The Swedish water ? Yes it is very clean almost all over the country, but the mineral content can vary considerably. For example in the very south ( Skane ) you have very high concentrations of calcium and sometimes also of manganese. Check the local conditions before you start mixing.
    Good to see a new darkroom starting up. Good luck !

Karl-Gustaf
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey, good to see a fellow Göteborgare! I'll see what I can do regarding the distilled water... It's battery water isn't it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by S.larsson View Post
    Thanks Mark! I'll try without this time round and see how it goes, I think we have quite clean water in Sweden.
    Clean is one thing. Without minerals, hardness etc. is another. Also, you could all store in several smaller bottles, filled to the brim to eliminate air, although the bag thing idea is also good.

You empty the bag by drinking the wine.

Good Luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    how about dissolving all of bag a in one liter and all of bag bin anotherliter to make two sock solutions.then mix these two solutions as required. ust a thought.
    Won't work. You can't get it all in solutiuon in that small of a volume. You can however mix Xtol up in 2.5 liters. That is a 2X stock solution. Then dilute it 1+1 or 1+3 to get the 1:0 or 1:1 Xtol woking solutions. Be warned however that if you store the 2X solution in the cold it will start to come out of solution. You can put the bottle in some warm water and it will go back into solution but it take a while.

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey, good to see a fellow Göteborgare! I'll see what I can do regarding the distilled water... It's battery water isn't it?
    Yes battery water is what is best available. By the way, there are plenty of us analogue enthusiasts in Göteborg.

Karl-Gustaf
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks Mark! I'll try without this time round and see how it goes, I think we have quite clean water in Sweden.
    It's not about how clean it is but how much iron it contains. XTol just does not like water with much iron. When in doubt, use distilled water. In DIY stores 'battery water' is dirt cheap.

My method for making 5 liters is like this:

- I put a new, unopened 5 liter water canister into a bucket with hot water until the temperature in the canister is around 25°C.

- Then I pour the content of bag A into the canister, close it tightly and shake it for 1-2 minutes.

- Next is the content of the big bag 'B'. Close it tightly and shake it. Let it stand for a while (ten minutes or so), then shake it again. Quite soon everything is dissolved.

- I pour the stock solution in 5 glass bottles and add some butane gas as a 'gas lid' that keeps the developer from getting in touch with oxygene.
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Depends on where you live

Also, someone mentioned distilled water? Is that necessary?
    If you live an area where there's a lot of minerals in your water, I'd use distilled water. I live an area in Northern California where the tap water is from snow melt water from the American River. I mixed 5 liters Xtol and I've used all of it with no problems. I also store it in a wine bladder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Speaking of water,

When my wife and I moved into our house in the East Bay (San Francisco Bay Area), I made I was going to build a shed in the back yard to use as a darkroom. I tried developing some film in the local water, and ended up with a bunch of crud in the film that would not come out of the emulsion. As a result, I left my darkroom at my sister's place, 45 miles away, since I actually work about 10 miles from there and I can go there after work when I need to use the dark room. The tap water at my sister's place works very well for chemicals and washing, and I only need to use distilled water for Photo Flow. That said, I still use distilled for mixing Xtol since it is sensitive to water quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    If you live an area where there's a lot of minerals in your water, I'd use distilled water. I live an area in Northern California where the tap water is from snow melt water from the American River. I mixed 5 liters Xtol and I've used all of it with no problems. I also store it in a wine bladder.
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The water in Sacramento is great. Just as good or better than bottled water. Great for photo chemistry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin