Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,957   Posts: 1,522,973   Online: 1159

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Fogged Paper Ideas

I recently opened a box of paper that I had around for a long time as I don't care for it's surface much. Anyway it is fogged, but my frugal nature is keeping me from just tossing it. I am looking for ideas as to what I can do with it creatively. So far I have swirled developer around on it under room light but am bored with that. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Use it for paper negs!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Photoe: I pasted this from a similar quest for how to use fogged paper. Don't you throw it away until you try this.

For each and every box this procedure has to be done separately.

1) Cut a small piece (about 1 inch square) of paper from the box you are currently testing. Then in full room light place half of it in paper developer (like Dektol 1 + 2 dilution) in order to see how long it takes for maximum black (probably less than one minute). Note the time in seconds.

2) Cut another similar piece of paper. Keep the room light off. Place a small coin in the middle of the paper and firmly hold the coin down with your finger. With the coin held down, turn on the room lights for about 5 seconds. Turn off all lights and develop for the time needed in step one for maximum black.

3) After fixation, note the tone of the coin area: if pure white you have perfect paper in that box. If medium grey it is still usable but will need other treatment to make beautiful prints.

4) If medium grey: you need a two fold approach towards getting that pure white back. Add either potassium bromide or benzotriazole to the developer. (NOTA BENE: To make a stock solution (MY way) of potassium bromide add 12 ml volume of powder (about 18 G) to 100 ml of water. To make a stock solution (MY way) of benzotriazole add 1 G (sorry, volumetric measuring is not practical because this chemical is like feathers) to 100 ml of water). With either of these restraining solutions you add about 20 ml to each liter of developer working solution. Now, the addition of this will slow down the time it takes to achieve maximum black, so test again with the tiny piece of paper like in step two. Add carbonate to the developer if it is TOO slow.

5) Finally, if the coin area still shows some grey you have to make your print a bit darker and then use a reducer after fixation to take off that ugly veil of grey. Reducing solution, like Farmer's Reducer, but slightly different, is this: mix 1 G of potassium ferricyanide (or 1 ml by volume: with potassium ferricyanide the grams are the same as the volume) into 100 ml of water. That is your 'bleach'. Take one part bleach and add to one part 'paper strength' fixer. That is your reducing solution but, beware, that is quite strong. Depending upon how much grey you wish to remove you can dilute this solution up to FIVE TIMES! That means, a solution of 100 ml of reducer (ie, 50 ml of bleach plus 50 ml of paper fixer) can have up to 400 ml of water added to make a total of 500 ml of diluted reducer. Agitate frequently and watch the print like a hawk. Too much reduction means a lost print.

6) The combination of both the restrainer and reducer has meant that many a box of photo paper deemed lost is now found. It does take a bit of experience to 'dance around' with this procedure but, in the end, you will have obtained a king's ransom of paper for pennies. - David Lyga

NOTE: And, yes, Bertilsson's "snatch point" is very well spoken. It becomes, sometimes, a maddening game to play to know when to remove such a print from the developer because, on one hand, you want that contrast which is difficult to obtain with age fogged paper and, on the other hand, you want to keep the fog low with less development. You also want that maximum black. Achieving all three can be frustrating but the achievement of this ideal is enhanced with 'snatching' the paper from the developer at the proper time. ADVICE: experiment and note carefully what you did if you find improvements. - David Lyga.
    Last edited by David Lyga; 03-04-2012 at 12:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    lumen prints, and paper negatives, and in camera paper negative lumen prints,
    and converted DOP to POP paper ...
    ask me how ..

Shooter
    Large Format
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Large Format
    John Bowen

Images
    Good Afternoon, Photoe,

Fix some of the sheets as normal. Use them as backing to stiffen prints which might be frequently handled, as in a teaching situation. Make a back-to-back sandwich with the print on one side and the blank, fixed sheet on the other (emulsion sides out for each, of course) and mounting tissue in between; the result is a very sturdy, flat package which will tolerate a lot of handling.

Konical

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the ideas everyone

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin