Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,348   Online: 987

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Slavich graded papers

I'd like some info on Slavich graded papers from anyone who has used them. The reason being that my grandson has now taken an interest in photography and I want to teach him from the ground up. I figure graded papers would be a better place to start. We will be using a 4x5 view camera with either some of the cheap Chinese/Shanghi film I have or some FP4+/Acros in my stash. My developer will be either Ilford DD-X or more likely WD2D+ pyro. The enlarger is going to be an old Omega D2V-condenser and the paper developer is LPD. I'd like to know just how the Slavich papers respond to pyro negs and a condenser light source. John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Slavich Grade 3 in Dektol. If your film is synched with the paper, you'll get some beautiful results especially when toning. This paper begs to be toned. This is the best paper overall that I've used so far, and its pretty cheap. Exhibition grade results with excellent tonality, contrast and color. Very snappy whites, deep deep blacks and weighty midtones.

One of my enlargers is a condenser style and I develop my film in Pyrocat HD exclusively.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Scott,
    That's the kind of info I was looking for and I think I'll order some, but did you find #3 to be a true grade #3. I read elsewhere that Slavich is about 1/2 step up in grade contrast compared to Ilford papers. It really doesn't matter since I'll figure that out myself(ourselves), but I was just curious. Also, I read that Freestyle won't be getting anymore in. I hope that ain't true? Seems like I'm always getting in on things as they are going out. John.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    It is true about Freestyle but, there is hope, see the below thread, I suggest you all give Bernadette at Laser Reflections, a co out of WA state, a call/email...

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/...tml?highlight=
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Slavich is fabulous stuff, well worth the time to track some down. I am relieved to have a stash of double weight matte. I'd recommend picking up some gr 2 and 3 if possible. You may find that bleaching back from grade 2 works well.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format

ROL

ROL,
    For Christ's sake I read that after I made the post! It sounds like all might not be lost since Laser Reflections might be picking the paper up. I'm still going to buy some just to get my Grandson started.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's the kind of info I was looking for and I think I'll order some, but did you find #3 to be a true grade #3. I read elsewhere that Slavich is about 1/2 step up in grade contrast compared to Ilford papers. It really doesn't matter since I'll figure that out myself(ourselves), but I was just curious./

Slavich papers have always been characterized with some instability of their properties. For example, you can buy grade 3 and receive grade 4 in reality or contrariwise.. So you must test it. But nevertheless, I think, Slavich maintains some unique qualities of true graded silver papers which you can not get with others. I m working for many years mostly with modern or old-soviet Slavich paper and don't need of smth else.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So... I think we should organize this as a group thing. I know I'd be in.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm in!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin