Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,933   Online: 1025

Shooter
    35mm

Bent Hewes 120 Reel? Is there a way to fix this, or should I just return it?

Long story short, I did not want to deal with a used stainless 120 reel, and bought a new reel from a local pro photo shop. However, when I brought it home and pulled the reel out, the reel was was very NOTICEABLY crooked. I would normally return it, but the store is extremely out of my way, and this was the last Hewes reel left in the store.

Is there an easy and accurate way to restore the reel to a straight manner?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Wow, all I have to say is someone really had to be trying to bend a Hewes real. (Unlike the ones marked "Made In Japan" which bend if you look at them funny...) As much as Hewes reels cost, I'd definitely make them put it right. Maybe they'd agree to mail you a replacement after you return the bent one?

Duncan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frobozz View Post
    Wow, all I have to say is someone really had to be trying to bend a Hewes real. (Unlike the ones marked "Made In Japan" which bend if you look at them funny...) As much as Hewes reels cost, I'd definitely make them put it right. Maybe they'd agree to mail you a replacement after you return the bent one?

Duncan
    I have to disagree here. All my reels, 35mm and 120, are Hewes. I got them primarily because of ease of loading particularly the 35mm. They are seemingly better built than most reels. But drop them once and they bend easily or even the spirals separate from the main rings. Unfortunately I know this for sure!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    That's probably why it was the last Hewes reel in the store. I have straighten and re-soldered one Hewes reel and it was very time consuming, but not impossible. In your situation I'd not mess with it. I would call the store and tell them you'll be bringing it back and to have them order you a new "unbent" one. A bent Hewes reel is no better than a bent Nikkor/whatever reel. Bent is bent! JohnW

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Junk it-- Return it if you can but the reel is junk if bent to any extent or if any of chrome is cracked or flaking.
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by parkpy View Post
    Long story short, I did not want to deal with a used stainless 120 reel, and bought a new reel from a local pro photo shop. However, when I brought it home and pulled the reel out, the reel was was very NOTICEABLY crooked. I would normally return it, but the store is extremely out of my way, and this was the last Hewes reel left in the store.

Is there an easy and accurate way to restore the reel to a straight manner?
    I have straightened a no-name reel. Assuming the main struts are bent, and assuming the spiral is not bent: Use a scrap piece of film for measuring. Bend the struts inward or outward until the inside-to-inside distance between struts (or outside-to-outside distance between spirals) is 0-.3 mm larger than the film. Wear strong reading glasses to judge this distance. Do this for all four pairs of struts. I bent them inward by putting the reel in a vise, and outward by pulling them apart by hand. I bent mine inward a little too much, because it's hard to gauge bending, and pulled them back apart by hand until the distance was correct.

Good luck,

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    NO! Save yourself some heartache and throw it away.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How about mailing it to them and either get a refund or replacement? Of course, call them first. Regarding bending it back in shape, depends on your abilities, temperment, and luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    How about mailing it to them and either get a refund or replacement? Of course, call them first. Regarding bending it back in shape, depends on your abilities, temperment, and luck.
    I eded up returning the reel. Another camerashop had a used Nikor reel that I hedged my bets on. So far, the reel has been good to me

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin