Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,434   Online: 812

Thread: FB & Hypoclear

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

FB & Hypoclear

Hi, I have only used FB paper once before but I really want to get into printing with it more, especially after reading the Forte FB v RC thread and I was curious if most people use a hypo-clear solution with it to cut the wash times or not. And if so, how much does it really cut the wash?

Thanks for any thoughts (or any other tips for a FB newbie!)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Forte and HCA

The idea of using the HCA is to "supposedly" make the print more archival by eliminating most of the fixer. A good washer machine or soak and dump technique is what you need to do following the HCA, Toning procedure. I usualy wash for 90 minutes on prints I'm going to keep. Proofs-I just poor some HCA into the washer and wash for only 30 minutes-then let them sit in the washer for several hours. Works VERY well and saves alot of water to boot!.
    Regards Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HCA is a washing aid which can speed up the washing of fiber based paper after fixing. HCA is not a Hypo Eliminator. Hypo Eliminators are not recommended for archival processing of film or prints.

The active ingredient in HCA is sodium sulfite. 20 grams of sodium sulfite dissoved in a liter of water is sufficient. 5 grams of sodium bisulfite can be added to the mix, which will buffer the sodium sulfite and reduce the pH of the mixture.

Rinse the print in running water to remove the fixer from the surface of the print, then soak the print in HCA for 2-3 minutes. After the HCA treatment, wash the print for 10 to 20 minutes in frequent changes of water.

A kodak HT-2 Residual Hypo Test can be used to verify the adequacy of the washing procedure.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin