Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,524   Online: 1039

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Acros 100. But you say she is aged 8? So Acros 100 with Parental Guidance.

Lucky films certainly will give you QC issues for your (or her) money; they've received a bit of a sour rap in Australia for the peculiar 120 format film. Good for moody, grainy, gritty Robert Capa-style doco shooting with a pinhole, but not for anything serious.
    Last edited by Poisson Du Jour; 03-07-2012 at 03:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    While looking over Freestyle, either on-line or in the store, check for printing out paper and other alternative ways of making prints. Simply contact printing one of her own negatives should be pretty exciting. I have no idea what the Freestyle store is like, if there is much for her to see, etc. They might do in-store demos or classes? Well, a trip there, a roll of film and some printing out paper, shoot on the way home, develop, print the next morning.... a pinhole camera for larger negatives, a Hasselblad for her ninth birthday.... an 8x10 for her tenth..... If there are actual salesclerks and such at Freestyle, I bet they'll treat her well.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    Freestyle still has some Arista Premium 100 in 24 shot rolls. this is Plus-X or close. I wonder if a shorter roll will be better for an 8 year old? Quicker to move through the camera, easier to load on a reel. And it's a nice-looking film.
    x 1,000% !!

They sell it at a very low cost. You will not get a better black & white film for less, (or even for more)!
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    At that age does it really matter what film she uses?
    Yeah It does.

I gave a roll of Tri X to my 10 year old nephew, we loaded it, he shot a couple frames, explained to him for a few minutes, and left the room.

I came back the room minutes later, he was sitting on my bed, with the camera back open.

Me: "What are you doing? I explained to you you can not open the back until its re-winded and done, its light sensitive!"

Him: "Oh I thought you can look at them one by one"

So i gave him a roll of cheap Lucky SHD Reload instead!

- Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Firstly congratulations to all those who are teaching their kids the origins of photography through film use

I have not read what format your daughter is using, too many "my fave'" film statements to wade through

My suggestion is to let her, and any other young person with an interest, have a look through a TLR - My observation is that kids have a sense of wonder at looking at a TLR screen and a 6x6 neg is the smallest size that contact prints to a pic that can be shown around

On another tack is WPPD (Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day should there be anyone who does not know and are rightly too embarrassed to ask) - You make a pinhole camera with her, process and scan as soon as possible on the 29th of April and she can see a picture made by her on an international online gallyery

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012poster.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	332.0 KB 
ID:	47515

Another possibility, and something Rae has shown the kids in Quinninup is the use of cyanotype for making photograms - She goes there with a box of pre-coated cyanotype paper and lets the kids find bits of stuff in the bush to place on the paper

I do not allow kids into my darkroom on H&S grounds - A long and distant thought is when I have enough money for a new big shed to include a small teaching darkroom in it with simple enlargers - Rae can do the work in there, I don't have that kind of patience any more

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tri-X!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Considering the posters location is given as Poland, it might be more cost effective to look at a European supplier? FOMA makes some quite good films, and the Kentmere line is also a good product. At least one AUPG sponsor sells Foma in europe by mail order. Macodirect may have some good ones also.

(Fomapan is essentially similar to the ARISTA EDU ULTRA film and is made in the Czech republic. )

I would concur that a 400 ISO film would allow a higher shutter speed. And the 24 exposure rolls DO allow things to progress to the print stage faster.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I vote for Tri-X or Arista 400. I learned on Tri-X with a totally mechanical camera (no meter). The few times my dad gave me something slower to shoot, I was very disappointed at what didn't come out. With 400, I have shots from inside my high school classrooms, handheld. I started around 7th grade without supervision, btw; 4th grade with supervision. At those ages, I really didn't think as much about how much light there was.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    At that age does it really matter what film she uses?
    Agree.

Photography with film, from a technical standpoint, is about learning a system. The film is just one piece of this puzzle. Get her a film that is likely to exist in a couple of years, and the rest will work itself out.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ok that makes sense. So I wonder - doesn't seem like there will be anything to replace Plus-X so maybe the best bet is the Arista branded Tri-X stuff for now. There are some pretty bright days down here where a lower ISO film like the Plus-X equivalent Arista film would be nice, though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin