Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,704   Posts: 1,548,474   Online: 863

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah Smith View Post
    Ok that makes sense. So I wonder - doesn't seem like there will be anything to replace Plus-X so maybe the best bet is the Arista branded Tri-X stuff for now. There are some pretty bright days down here where a lower ISO film like the Plus-X equivalent Arista film would be nice, though.
    Fuji Neopan ACROS is ISO 100 film. Adox CHS 100 is an interesting film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Ilford FP4+. Very forgiving, easy to work with, not so grainy that you can't make a decent enlargement off of 35mm with it. Develops well in just about anything.
    Yep!
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedidiah Smith View Post
    Ok that makes sense. So I wonder - doesn't seem like there will be anything to replace Plus-X so maybe the best bet is the Arista branded Tri-X stuff for now. There are some pretty bright days down here where a lower ISO film like the Plus-X equivalent Arista film would be nice, though.
    Tri-X is as good as it gets. For a beginner, and for a seasoned expert.
    If she wants finer grain in the future, there are lots of good alternatives. You can find 400-speed films with less grain than Tri-X, but few that looks as good.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm going to vote for the Arista Premium, its cheap and looks very nice. If they still carried it, I would have suggested the Legacy Pro brand, it was an amazing film and had a really good price too.

Shooter
    127 Format
    I completely forgot to mention Photo Warehouse (UlltrafineOnline.com) as they are right there in Ventura. They have all kinds of film and at very low prices.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    I completely forgot to mention Photo Warehouse (UlltrafineOnline.com) as they are right there in Ventura. They have all kinds of film and at very low prices.
    Their HP.. ahem, i mean Ultrafine Extreme 400 is indeed very good.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wblynch View Post
    Huh. I didn't even know these guys existed. They're only 7 miles from my office! Hmmm...I'll have to take a look. Nothing like buying local when you can.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Neopan Acros

Get a cheap $20 IR filter off ebay from HK or China (I've used one they work very well) and get her some Retro 80s or Retro 400s or Rollei IR400.. they should all be inexpensive, and give quite a thrill/kick of a different image.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin