Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,184   Online: 698

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ..and here is 120. Processing is exactly the same.
    Attached Files

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's one i shot with times and temps:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38698047@N00/1366426720
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow. Lots of personal opinion and self-proclaimed experts, as is typical of the i'net.

The Agfa development chart says:
    1+25: 8 minutes tank, 7 minutes drum (i.e. Jobo) @ 20°C (68°F)
    1+50: 17 minutes tank, 14 minutes drum (i.e. Jobo) @ 20°C (68°F)

Recommended agitation:
    "The recommended agitation is as follows: in tanks, constant for the first 30 seconds and then 5 secs every 30 seconds.
    In drums, choose a rotation speed above 30 RPM (changing direction if possible)."

Considering the fact that Agfa made both the film and the developer, you would be well-advised to follow their recommendations.

Note that the recommended amount of Rodinal concentrate is 10ml per roll (35mm or 120). That may influence your choice of dilution.

Although I don't shoot APX100, I've done over 1000 rolls of APX25 120 over the last 50 years.
    I always followed the recommended processing and never had a problem with the results.

- Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 03-07-2012 at 09:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    Wow. Lots of personal opinion and self-proclaimed experts, as is typical of the i'net.

The Agfa development chart says:
    1+25: 8 minutes tank, 7 minutes drum (i.e. Jobo) @ 20°C (68°F)
    1+50: 17 minutes tank, 14 minutes drum (i.e. Jobo) @ 20°C (68°F)

Recommended agitation:
    "The recommended agitation is as follows: in tanks, constant for the first 30 seconds and then 5 secs every 30 seconds.
    In drums, choose a rotation speed above 30 RPM (changing direction if possible)."

Considering the fact that Agfa made both the film and the developer, you would be well-advised to follow their recommendations.

Note that the recommended amount of Rodinal concentrate is 10ml per roll (35mm or 120). That may influence your choice of dilution.

Although I don't shoot APX100, I've done over 1000 rolls of APX25 120 over the last 50 years.
    I always followed the recommended processing and never had a problem with the results.

- Leigh
    Manuf. reccomendations are just that. It's about fitting your negative on paper, and testing involving sensitometry are as accurate as it gets. Do this: pick a high contrast scene, with an SBR of 8-9, rate it @ 100, expose and process for 17 minutes as Agfa prescribes, and let me know how many hoops you'll have to go through to print negatives that can be used to watch a solar eclipse. Oh, and Agfa's reccomendation of 10ml minimum per roll is absolute nonsense.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maximus...

I'm confident that you believe your skills, equipment, and technique exceed those of the manufacturer.

You'll forgive me if I don't believe you.

- Leigj
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Maximus...

I'm confident that you believe your skills, equipment, and technique exceed those of the manufacturer.

- Leigj
    Yes, you are correct, since I've tested it for myself, I shoot plenty of it, and my negatives fit beautifully and easily on grade 2 paper. You don't have to believe me, and that's perfectly fine. Since you don't shoot it, do go ahead and test yourself following Agfa's reccomendations. Let us all know what you get and give YOUR personal opinion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    Yes, you are correct, since I've tested it for myself.
    That's amazing.

I'm sure you're the only person on this or any other photographic forum who's ever done any testing.

My congratulations.

- Leigh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maximus...

- Leigj
    With all due respect.

Manufacturers make recommendations based on tightly controlled lab environments. Most of us shoot in the real world, and you have to make adjustments for your own system for optimal results.
    Does Agfa know what paper you print on? Do they know how you meter? No, they don't. It's a system, and what Max has done is to take all of those factors into account, something Agfa could never have done.

I can't print worth a damned using Agfa's published times. Negs are so dense I cant shine through the highlights with a 250W bulb in my condenser enlarger. Does that mean I have to adjust something, or should I continue to make negatives I can't print? You tell me.

The way I see it, making black and white prints is a system. It starts with the paper, and developer. Once you figure out what you want to use, you have to target your negatives to fit the paper and developer of choice. That is if you really want the maximum out of your system. This has always been true.

After adjusting for my own needs APX100 and Rodinal was the only film/dev combination I needed, because it printed with ease and without frustration or significant waste.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    That's amazing.

I'm sure you're the only person on this or any other photographic forum who's ever done any testing.

My congratulations.

- Leigh
    Absolutely not, and never made such claim. If you had done your own testing, you wouldn't be here trying to pick a fight with me. That information cost me time and money, and maybe it will help someone else. You can take it as you wish and frankly I don't really care. Nighty night!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hey Avi - when you mention the twirl method, are you referring to the GAF anscomatic:

Humm, I am not sure how one translates inversions to twirls, this kind of tank predates me and I am not sure if there are times that Agfa published back in the day for the GAF tanks.

Anyone got any tips?
    Andy

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin