Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,684   Online: 1142
      
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 53
  1. #21
    Leigh B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,035
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Manufacturers make recommendations based on tightly controlled lab environments. Most of us shoot in the real world, and you have to make adjustments for your own system for optimal results.
    If you'll go back and read the original post, you'll find:
    1) this is a very important roll, and
    2) the OP does not want to experiment.

    Any recommendation from anyone here that deviates from the manufacturer's recommendations is experimentation, and thus worthless in this context.

    The Agfa recommendations do work. If you got unsatisfactory results there's a problem with your process.
    I expect too much agitation. That's a common problem when using Rodinal.

    But whatever it might be, the subject is totally OT in the context of this thread.

    - Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

  2. #22
    zsas's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    1,959
    Images
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    Any recommendation from anyone here that deviates from the manufacturer's recommendations is experimentation, and thus worthless in this context.

    The Agfa recommendations do work. If you got unsatisfactory results there's a problem with your process.
    I expect too much agitation. That's a common problem when using Rodinal.
    well then, what agitation schema do you recommend then? As I posted above, Avi uses twirl, I know that because I gave Avi the GAF tanks you see above, so with that said, what is the manufacturer's recommendation for the GAF tank above? I doubt you know and hence dismissing him to the manufactures recommendations is just dismissing Avi's question entirely, think you need to read his question closer
    Last edited by zsas; 03-07-2012 at 10:27 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelled Avi's name wrong
    Andy

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Malibu
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    8
    I use APX 100 with Rodial 1:75 . I do everything at 75 degrees. I find the high diultion is great for contrast control It has compensating properties. As well as high Acutence which is jut beautiful. To see what this look like see if you can find the work of Henry Gilpin somehere.

    My development time at this dilution and temerature is 11 minutes. I agitate 5 seconds every 30 seconds via rotation. I DO NOT invert. Yields a classic beautiful Black and White negative.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Ogden, Utah USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    994
    you are thinking too hard.

    Have yu used this film before? If no, then ur going to have to take a chance and go for standard development. Experiment at your peril.

    But I have to assume, since you were shooting something you are sincere about, you have used this film before. If you are, you have developed it before.

    Develop it exactly the same as you have before. You know the film, you know how it came out last times, do the same you will get the same.

    Development is not the time to experiment with valuable film unless you have no option because it already got screwed up in the shooting and you are trying to salvage it.

  5. #25
    baachitraka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bremen, Germany.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,318
    I only use APX 100 + Rodinal 1+50 for most of shooting with gentle 3 inversions at the beginning and 3 on every 5th minute for 20 mins approximately.

    My question is how do I know that my negs will fit on grade 2 or higher paper apart from printing by myself?
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Hey Avi - when you mention the twirl method, are you referring to the GAF anscomatic:


    Humm, I am not sure how one translates inversions to twirls, this kind of tank predates me and I am not sure if there are times that Agfa published back in the day for the GAF tanks.

    Anyone got any tips?
    Folks,

    Thank you so much for your suggestions.

    Sorry that this is turning a bit sour.

    Andy...yes...those are the very tanks and I believe I got them from you as a gift!

    Avi

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    If you'll go back and read the original post, you'll find:
    1) this is a very important roll, and
    2) the OP does not want to experiment.

    Any recommendation from anyone here that deviates from the manufacturer's recommendations is experimentation, and thus worthless in this context.

    The Agfa recommendations do work. If you got unsatisfactory results there's a problem with your process.
    I expect too much agitation. That's a common problem when using Rodinal.

    But whatever it might be, the subject is totally OT in the context of this thread.

    - Leigh
    I have to side with Leigh here.....I think it makes sense to stick with manufacturer recommendations for the very first roll and THEN experiment (based on all your suggestions) to get negatives that suite my taste.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    well then, what agitation schema do you recommend then? As I posted above, Avi uses twirl, I know that because I gave Avi the GAF tanks you see above, so with that said, what is the manufacturer's recommendation for the GAF tank above? I doubt you know and hence dismissing him to the manufactures recommendations is just dismissing Avi's question entirely, think you need to read his question closer
    Hi Andy,

    Thanks.

    I have used twirl agitation for all my 120 films so far. And I don't think the translation from inversion to agitation is all that bad.

    Nevertheless, I have acquired inversion tanks as well, so to completely standardize the process, I think I can do that for this roll.

    Avi

  9. #29
    Thomas Bertilsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    14,208
    Images
    296
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    If you'll go back and read the original post, you'll find:
    1) this is a very important roll, and
    2) the OP does not want to experiment.

    Any recommendation from anyone here that deviates from the manufacturer's recommendations is experimentation, and thus worthless in this context.

    The Agfa recommendations do work. If you got unsatisfactory results there's a problem with your process.
    I expect too much agitation. That's a common problem when using Rodinal.

    But whatever it might be, the subject is totally OT in the context of this thread.

    - Leigh
    You are correct that this is the OP's first roll, absolutely. I apologize for losing my empathy for a moment, and going outside the context of the original question.

    But, you made some accusations that I could not let stand, simply because you dismissed personal testing in favor of just doing what it says on the package, and I disagree with you profoundly. To do your own testing is possibly the most important aspect of getting the technical side of film based photography to gel 100%. That is not sour grapes and revenge like feelings, but a very good suggestion to improve your photography.
    I assure you I have no problems with my process. I know exactly what I'm doing. But I probably have only shot 2-300 rolls of APX 100, so what do I know? It isn't even a film I've used a lot comparatively.

    The real lesson to be learned here is to never use film you haven't tried before for important shots. Always, always, always use a well known film if the outcome is important. Or better yet, one that's tuned into your work flow.

    And, to get back on topic, I agree that for the very first roll shot, use the manufacturer's recommended time.

    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

    "Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

    "...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

  10. #30
    Leigh B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,035
    Images
    1
    Hi Thomas,

    I certainly agree with you about testing. It's the cornerstone of any serious photographer's darkroom process.

    I was trying to point out that it was not appropriate in this particular situation for this particular roll of film.

    Sorry if I failed to make that distinction clear.

    - Leigh
    Last edited by Leigh B; 03-08-2012 at 09:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin