Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,570   Online: 800

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Agfa APX100 Development in Rodinal

Hello,

I know that recipes are easy to find using the massive dev chart or other resources, but the roll of APX100 120 film I am about to develop is too precious to me to experiment with. So, I sincerely apologize for revisiting this topic, but I would appreciate your opinion.

Here is what I have: 120 APX100 shot at ISO100 using a Pentax 645N. most of the shots are under rainy/overcast conditions at Mt. Auburn Cemetery in Boston (which is one of the reasons why this roll is very precious to me). I have already shot them, so the ISO is fixed. Of course, it is open to change since I have 2 more rolls of this film.

My choice of developer is Rodinal. I can use whichever mode of dilution. Mode of development: either twirl or inversion although I prefer the former since I have used that before and I have never done inversion agitation.

Everything else is open to suggestion. I have heard great things about APX100+Rodinal, and I hope to get the same results with my shots.

I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks and regards,

Avi

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Even stand development is an option if that would help...I love stand development since it requires so little effort!

Shooter
    35mm
    Develop same as 35mm and that's it

Shooter
    35mm
    Internet hyped Stand development for important films? No way. Go with a tried and true 100 year old proven method.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    there is no need to sweat it, apx 100 and rodinal are one of the famous combinations, develop normally, since it is 120 the grain is not going to be the issue.
    Multum egerunt, qui ante nos fuerunt, sed non peregedunt.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vedmak View Post
    there is no need to sweat it, apx 100 and rodinal are one of the famous combinations, develop normally, since it is 120 the grain is not going to be the issue.
    What are the normal conditions? Ones specified by the massive dev chart? And is that for inversion agitation?

Thanks.

Avi

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Agfa spec sheet reads 17 mins at 20C in Rodinal 1+50 using tilt agitation...is that good?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by psychoanalyst_god View Post
    What are the normal conditions? Ones specified by the massive dev chart? And is that for inversion agitation?

Thanks.

Avi
    Normal conditions is 68F using your normal agitation technique, everybody is different, so if you hand processed film in the stainless/paterson tank before you know what to expect, if this is your first time not just for dev/film combo but also for tank/inversion technique, I would suggest you do one of two things a) give it to a professional lab to develop, b) shoot some more of the same film in similar conditions and develop it first to see if you need to make any adjustments to the times in the chart.
    Multum egerunt, qui ante nos fuerunt, sed non peregedunt.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hm, I use 13 minutes with 1+50. Absolutely sure shot would be 8 minutes with 1+25. Constant agitation first 30 seconds, then 2 inversions after every minute (at 1:30, 2:30 etc).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Here is a little cherry to save yourself some time and possible aggravation. This was tested with 21 step tablet in enlarger and densities plotted.
    Stainless tank + Hewes reels, Rodinal 1:50, 70 degrees, 3 minutes pre-soak, 5 gentle inversions at beginning + 3 inversions every 30 seconds, distilled water. Effective speed is 64 and normal development is 9.5 minutes for an average gradient of .42, and flare is built into these tests as well. Everything else you need you can get by reading these charts. You got Zone and Beyond Zone here. No more guessing or relying on internet legends Good luck and have fun!
    Attached Files

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin