Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,568   Online: 1107

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images

Hypo Clear if Toning later??

I printed a few prints tonight on MGIV FB and will tone them in another session at another time. Do I need to use hypo clear or just a long good wash? They are washing now with no hypo clear. I assume that is good enough? If I had time they would go into the selenium after the fix with no hypo clear anyway. So I wasn't sure it I needed a hypo clear before the final wash.

Shooter
    35mm
    A good wash without hypo clear is just as archival as a good wash with it.

Many times I wonder about the effectiveness of hypo clear. Does it really work or is it merely a placebo? I sometimes wonder.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks, I completed an hour wash on the prints, with no hypo clear. When I tone them I will wet them, tone in selenium, then hypo clear, sepia, hypo clear again and final wash. I live by hypo clear, but that's how I was taught.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hypo clear decreases the time necessary to wash a print thoroughly. A print really should be washed well to avoid staining from toning.

Washing should be completed as soon as possible after fixing, within 24 hours, or the fix will not come out in the wash.

Some toners require refixing and a wash or at least a short wash after toning. It's best to consult with Tim's or Steve's books on toning procedures.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    it resally works.a good wash alone can't beat it and is not asgood.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NB23 View Post
    A good wash without hypo clear is just as archival as a good wash with it.

Many times I wonder about the effectiveness of hypo clear. Does it really work or is it merely a placebo? I sometimes wonder.
    The effects of the sulphite in the hypo clear are to help make some of the semi-soluable silver/thiousulpte complexes soluable so that they can be washed out of the paper.

And yes it does work.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends on the toning. While selenium tolerates a bit of fixer left in the paper, gold and some other need thoroughly washed prints. In the latter case, HCA may save you time as has been discussed above.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skahde View Post
    It depends on the toning. While selenium tolerates a bit of fixer left in the paper, gold and some other need thoroughly washed prints. In the latter case, HCA may save you time as has been discussed above.
    xactly
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skahde View Post
    It's not that KRST or equivalent Selenium toners like Ilfords tolerate fixer they actually contain it - Ammonium Thiosulphate and sulphites - anyway. However these toners will cause staing where there's been poor fixing with too high a silver content and it's still better to use hypo clear (or a plain sulphite solution) before drying and toning later.

If you're using a two bath fixer regime and the second bath is fresh and very low in silver content then that hypo clear sten is less important.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hypo-Clear after the selenium toning and before the final wash. You don't need it for an intermediate wash. You will have to wash thoroughly after the toning. I save my second fix for my toning sessions and don't hypo clear for the first wash (which comes after the first fix). Prints are then dried and collected for a toning session. They only sit a maximum of a couple of weeks before getting the second fix, toning and a thorough wash. No problems with degradation and the final prints pass residual silver and hypo tests with flying colors. I actually think the intermediate wash helps.

Best,

Doremus

www.DoremusScudder.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin