Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,776   Posts: 1,516,689   Online: 1179

Shooter
    35mm RF

Use old-shot developer as hypo clear (HCA)?

1. Hypo clear agent (HCA) is almost entirely sulfite.
    2. XTOL, D-76, and similar are high in sulfite.

That got me wondering: When using developer as a one-shot, could I use the used developer as HCA?
    That is, pour the dev back into the tank after fixing to help remove the thiosulfate. Is there any harm in doing this?

Mark Overton

EDIT: The title should have been "one-shot", not "old-shot", and edit won't let me edit it. Sigh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's important not to leave traces of developer in a print, stop bath (or a water rinse) and then .fixer help remove them so the last thing you need to do is reintroduce them.

In addition if an print's been poorly fixed you'll end up with all sorts of stains.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    It's important not to leave traces of developer in a print, stop bath (or a water rinse) and then .fixer help remove them so the last thing you need to do is reintroduce them.
    In addition if an print's been poorly fixed you'll end up with all sorts of stains.
    I was thinking of reusing the dev for film, not prints. If the ingredients in the dev wash out of the emulsion faster than thiosulfate, then shouldn't this work?

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HQ washes out of film at about the same rate as hypo does. (See Haist) Therefore, use of developer puts back into film, something that you really really don't want there. HQ yellows with keeping. Metol does too! I have no rates on its wash rate. Some developers turn pink or orange with keeping. You don't want them either.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting Idea, and, good to know the answers.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin