Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,136   Online: 858

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Anyone using Polymax RT Developer?

A lab is closing nearby and selling 50 5L jugs of this stuff for $20 a pop. I generally buy Ilford paper developer, just 'cause it's convenient (I'd prefer LPD, but no local shops sell it), but it's $50+tax for the same size. I thought I'd buy a bunch of this stuff, but wondering what opinions anyone has, what characteristics I can expect from various dilutions and info on how well it stores.

Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Jordan:

I've been using Polymax RT almost exclusively for a few years.

In my case, I have been using the 32 oz. bottles (my usage is not high).

I don't vary my dilutions. I use the Kodak recommended 1 + 9 for everything.

It is cheap enough to use one shot, so that is what I do except for the rare occurrence when I am printing two days in a row, in which case if the evening batch has been just a few prints, I'll bottle it up and use it again in the morning.

It behaves much the same as Dektol/D-72. As I understand it, in other parts of the world it is actually labelled as "Liquid Dektol".

Like Dektol, if you leave it for a long time in a tray (like over-night) it tends to stain the tray.

The concentrate seems to last a long time. If you have a half full bottle it will eventually discolour, but seems to remain active even then.

I find the capacity information on Kodak's website conservative but otherwise accurate.

FWIW Glazer's in Seattle sells this in large quantities, so there must be commercial or institutional users.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Matt...as always, you have useful info. I'm gonna try some of the Dektol I have this week and see if I like it.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Jordan,

Polymax 1:9 will work well as a tray paper developer. It was designed to withstand high temperature (35C) use for long periods of time so it will stand up well in a tray at 25C. If you have any problems let me know. I was part of the team that designed it 30 years ago. Bob Shanebrook

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used to use it for years, until i heard of LPD. Now it's only LPD for me.
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by laser View Post
    ...Polymax 1:9...I was part of the team that designed it 30 years ago. Bob Shanebrook
    Bob - I recently received and read your book. Thank you for writing it!

With advance apologies for hijacking this thread, can you offer any informed speculation on what the prospects are for ongoing availability of Kodak-branded chemicals as the bankruptcy proceeds? Is it likely that Champion will continue to supply those products despite its creditor status? Of particular interest is XTOL. I've considered stockpiling a substantial number of 5 liter packages, but have concern that, even in its multilayer envelopes, the ascorbate component will deteriorate much beyond marked expiration dates.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob...

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it.

Sal....you should be ashamed. Just kidding, I think I found out what I need to know.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin