Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,436   Online: 809

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 777

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    I agree. There are good reasons for using many of these developers, but they have fallen out of favor because of the loss in film speed and a reputation for low sharpness. Both of these detriments seem to be overblown. I've used a couple of CD2 based developers that have less extreme effects on the curve than Edwal 12 but still give the lovely gradation and tonality mentioned above. The negatives seem generally very easy to print. CD2 is a more powerful developing agent than PPD, so there is really very little speed loss and the sharpness is comparable to D-23. I've also tried DuPont 5-D (one of the Sease formulas) when I had fresh glycin, and it proved similar - good prints (not quite as nice), little loss of speed, good enough sharpness.
    Interestingly, in Edwal 12 the PPD is used to get to a pH where glycin is more active, and subsequently has more of an effect on the process.
    Whatever it is, I used Tri-X at box speed in normal lighting, and got perfect range every time.
    The only thing you have to watch is to not overdevelop it, because highlights do become quite dense. Perhaps that's some of the 'difficulty' some folks experience with it. Gentle agitation every two or three minutes does the trick. For those that don't think a nice 16x20 can be had from 35mm - try this dev with TMY-2 and watch something amazing happen when you pop the neg in the enlarger and go to town.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even in the southwest Edwal 12 can be good choice, we have so much reflexed light that many days are low contrast and flat. As stated do not overdevelope, do not over agitate, Tmax 400 shot at 800 seems to well for me. I still have a couple of years worth of Ansco version of D76 and and DDX to use then I plan on starting a new tank. 777 was just too soft for my tast.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I've developed around 4000 sheets and 300 rolls of 120 in Germain and it's just excellent..pulls really well..EC

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin